ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera tracker experts - optimal tracking points in footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael CarterCamera tracker experts - optimal tracking points in footage?
by on Nov 10, 2016 at 8:26:52 pm

I've been able to pull very useable camera tracker data from things like drone footage. I don't have a good feel for what sort of elements get picked up by the tracker, but I've been able to get enough data to do things like very realistic sky replacements and so on.

So I've been experimenting with 3D rendered image sequences and texturing markers onto objects. My results have been iffy (my 3D software doesn't export camera data to AE). I've also had varying luck on-set, doing things like placing tracking cards at various depths and angles.

I get it that AE doesn't like tripod pans, but these are more complex moves, cranes and steadicam-style shots, with multiple planes.

Does anyone have any insights into what sort of details and marks AE's tracker likes best? Random spatters? Grids? Varying sizes? Crosses vs. dots?

Here's some test frames from Carrara renders (I do a regular series of medical edits with a line-art feel, and Carrara does an excellent job of creating 3D elements and masks for colorizing). These were able to sometimes get the back wall tracked, but the sidewall and "desk" top wouldn't get their own planar targets - those dots would usually triangulate with the back wall and so on).

10778_trackingmarkers.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]