ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Calculate AE bottleneck

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Richardson
Calculate AE bottleneck
on Nov 10, 2016 at 4:40:55 pm

Hi all,

I built a PC a while back for rendering out timelapse files. Essentially using Adobe after effects to convert camera RAW images, to high res videos.

I have a similarly specced pc to a friend, yet his renders 10-20x faster. So, I'm trying to figure out where the weak link is.

i7-5820K 3.30GHz
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
MX100 256GB
Palit GeForce GTX970
32GB Crucial 2133MHz CL15-15-15 DDR4
Multiple drives in RAID 10

When I render, my CPU usage goes to 100% on all cores, and the RAM usage is also maxed out.

I have tried rendering files from ssd->ssd, and hdd->hdd, and the speeds are the same. This makes me think it must be a CPU or RAM bottleneck.

I have multicore processing turned on for all 12 cores, with 2GB of ram being assigned per core.

Any ideas how I can figure it out ?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Calculate AE bottleneck
on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:00:34 pm

Go over to your buddy's place. Scrutinize the AE settings. Note them. Try them on your machine.

And note any differences in hardware, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Calculate AE bottleneck
on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:21:13 pm

[Paul Richardson] "When I render, my CPU usage goes to 100% on all cores, and the RAM usage is also maxed out. I have tried rendering files from ssd->ssd, and hdd->hdd, and the speeds are the same. This makes me think it must be a CPU or RAM bottleneck. I have multicore processing turned on for all 12 cores, with 2GB of ram being assigned per core."

Fewer cores with more RAM each will probably help your render times, as will a healthy amount of reserved RAM for other applications. Forcing lots of processes to work really inefficiently is not as fast as letting fewer processes fly.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]