ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cost benefit analysis of trading my 2010 Mac for PC Workstation.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wong
Cost benefit analysis of trading my 2010 Mac for PC Workstation.
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:54:09 pm

I'm in the market for a new workstation and seeing as how adobe has introduced native pro-res decode I'm entertaining the idea of building a Windows PC.

I'm currently on a dual 6 core Xeon X5670 2.93 GHz 2009 Mac pro with 64gb of Ram and a gtx 780 6gb with a SATA SSD boot drive and an eSATA RAID 5 for my media cache.

I spend 50% of my time in premiere, with the other 50% split between AE doing light comping / mograph and DaVinci Resolve. I would say I'm reasonably happy with performance in Pr and Resolve but would really like to see better playback speeds of 4k projects in AE.
My question is on paper, clock speeds for 12+ core machines haven't really gotten that far past 3ghz and I'm questioning how much performance improvement I would really see for what looks like it's going to be a $5k+ investment? Part of the motivation is also to be able to add dual GPUs and a PCIE SSD cache but again, I'm not sure the cost benefit quite makes sense yet ( which seems crazy given the core machine is almost 6 years old now ).
I know comparing clock speeds between CPU generations is not apples to apples but I'm just not sure how orange the oranges are.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Cost benefit analysis of trading my 2010 Mac for PC Workstation.
on Nov 11, 2016 at 12:29:56 am

download the same test clips and do the exact same tests to compare appropiate answer
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-Multi...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-Pas...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Cost benefit analysis of trading my 2010 Mac for PC Workstation.
on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:08:11 pm

I would suggest, if you're happy with your NLE's, just to hang tight for a bit. The CC 2017 release of AE has a bug fix coming soon that may fix some issues (depending on what sort of playback problems you are having). And the AE team is still working on rendering improvements.

So I would wait for the next update to see how it fairs first.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]