ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC 2017: Has anyone figured out how to turn off the audio pitch-shifting whenever your Preview starts running at below real-time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ha
CC 2017: Has anyone figured out how to turn off the audio pitch-shifting whenever your Preview starts running at below real-time?
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:16:19 am

Apparently in CC 2017 Adobe added this new feature where, if you're Previewing a composition, and playback falls below real-time speed, it'll shift the pitch of the audio. I'm not sure which situations this behavior would be preferable, but I personally find it immensely annoying, especially when animating to music. I'm curious if anyone has figured out how to shut it off and go back to the "stuttery" way it was done in CC 2015.

(P.S. I've already searched Google for "After Effects audio pitch shift preview", and it only seems to result in tutorials for actually pitch-shifting audio using the Time Remapping function, which is not what I want.)

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
Re: CC 2017: Has anyone figured out how to turn off the audio pitch-shifting whenever your Preview starts running at below real-time?
on Nov 8, 2016 at 7:36:03 am

Apart from 'mute audio when not realtime' under Preferences/Previews, I can't find it neither/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CC 2017: Has anyone figured out how to turn off the audio pitch-shifting whenever your Preview starts running at below real-time?
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:28:24 pm

There's this thingy on your computer speakers. It's a volume knob. Turn it counter-clockwise until it stops. Problem solved.

Geez, do you want the application to pour you a cup of coffee, too?

We're talking Adobe here, and the company's prime objective is to get users hooked on its software to improve the revenue from rentals, and NOT to fix minor complaints from users.

When was the last time you saw a drug dealer show remorse for getting users addicted?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Clabaugh
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:54:24 am

The pitch shifting is occurring because of sample rate. When a lower sample rate audio file is played back at a higher sample rate, it sounds like the voice has been down pitched, like last year's trend in house music. This is because sample rate is a clock speed, the reverse happens if you play a higher clock speed back at a lower rate(like the chipmunks).

The problem goes away after the audio has been cached. So you have to play it back once and let AE figure everything out, and then when it has cached, you can listen to it at its normal sound. Annoying? yes, but at least we are on our way towards full audio scrubbing and preview like the video editors. This has been going on since the last CC edition, surprised you aren't getting crashes with the preview.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]