ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek KunzeProblem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations
by on Nov 4, 2016 at 3:37:54 pm

Hello,

So I am working on an animated logo in After Effects. I originally created the logo as a vector Ai file and imported the layers into after effects. After applying all the animations ( just a position adjustments and linear wipes) and adjusting all the Eases, I finally had a nice fluid Logo animation.

However I noticed after exporting it, that the logo is alias'd and has blurry edges. So after doing some research I remembered to put on continuously rasterize switch.

However the problem I have encountered is this switch seems to interfere with either the order and quality of the animation effects. The eases and timing seem noticeably less smooth and the eases seem rushed.

From what I have been able to read on related issues they are usually concerning 3d layers but my whole project is all 2d.

Is there a way to remedy this?
Are continuously rasterized layers just less capable of complex eases and timed animations?
Or will I just need to go back and redo the eases and movements with the Continuous Rasterization activated from the start?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations
by on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:57:47 pm

Okay, that's certifiably weird. There's NOTHING about position changes that should be affected by Continuously Rasterize. Masking? Well, maybe. The look of effects added to layers? Yup.

But we really don't know what you did in the project, so it's tough to say if it's a shortcoming in the software or just plain ol' User Error. I'm leaning toward User Error, 'cause I'm surprised you didn't notice the problem BEFORE you rendered out of AE.

I'd scrutinize your error-checking procedures... EVERYBODY has those Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments that need to be discovered in a project.

Unless you find it extremely off-putting, I'd just chalk this up to experience -- if you need to make Illustrator layers bigger, turn on Continuously Rasterize right away. Just futz with your animation timings until it's right again.

And if you DO find it off-putting.... well, you're stuck. You have to re-do the animation anyway.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Derek KunzeRe: Problem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations
by on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:10:11 pm

Hello Dave!

Thanks for the response. Yeah after doing even more research I think I have isolated the problem.

You are correct there were no changes made regarding positioning.

The changes seem to be related to the linear wipe effect recognizing the the whole comp size once the "cont. rasterize" is switched on.

So I was able to change the size of the composition to the rough borders of the logo and that practically returned the animation to its original self.

Basically the wipes were using a much bigger active area so they seemed to wipe by much faster and for fewer frames, than when cont. rasterization was off.

But now I am struggling to understand the workflow of creating a "continuously rasterized" crisp vector logo that can be put inside of a another composition.

Here in the E Ink Animation Comp the animation appears as I want while being continuously rasterized and crisp.

However here once I try to bring that comp into a comp that has a background, the wipes revert to using the entire comp as there base.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations
by on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:30:35 pm

I have two suggestions:

1) Make the Illustrator layers as big as they actually need to be.
2) Use the smaller Illustrator layers (scaled up, with Continuously Rasterize on) in a nested comp. The nested comp then becomes the layer you use in your main comp.

Either one will work just fine in a 2D environment.

And it never hurts to make things bigger than you need them. In AE -- as in every other application that deals with pixels -- it's no problem to scale something down. It's a pain in the neck to scale something up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Derek KunzeRe: Problem With Continuous Rasterization and Animations
by on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:42:36 pm

Thanks So Much!

Once I figured out the relationship between the cont. rasterization and composition size it was just a matter of tweaking the sizes and nesting the comps.

Awesome website thanks for all the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]