ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

iMac or MacPro working with after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin AlexanderiMac or MacPro working with after effects?
by on Nov 2, 2016 at 8:22:23 pm

Hello. After spending a horrendous amount of time rendering and dealing with a choppy snails pace while editing a new video, I've decided it's time to get a new computer.
Currently I have a late 2009 iMac upgraded with a 500gb SSD and some extra RAM but still, working with premiere pro and after effects is horrible. I'm using 1080p Canon 7D footage and using lots of layers, masks, 3D effects, and color grading. In the future I'll be hoping to upgrade my camera as well and shoot in higher resolutions. The budget im going for is no more than $2500 about but pushing to go cheaper than that.
I am trying to decide which to get and need advice. I've found two refurbished options from OWC which I've known to be very reliable.
Mac Pro refurbished: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/FD878LLA/
Choosing this would be the most expensive and I wouldn't be able to have the 5K bigger screen but I'd get the most power/speed I think.
iMac 27in refurbished: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/FF886LLA24/
This would be less powerful but also give me a bit more extras.
I'm wondering for what it is I'm trying to do would the MacPro be necessary or even if what I'm deciding on is a good idea in the first place. There is also the option of going for a brand new iMac with these specs:
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) $2500
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
* 16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
* 1TB Fusion Drive
* AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
Last little extra bit of detail is I have 7TB worth of Seagate external hard drives for storing all my footage/pictures/music etc.
Thank you and bare with me since I'm not extremely savvy with a lot of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]