ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC 2017 full of bugs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
AE CC 2017 full of bugs
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:47:52 pm

Hello guys,

Does anyone have problem with the new AE CC 2017? I've updated it (and kept my 2015.3 for work), everytime I preview something it crashes, and the audio is awful, I have Bose speakers on USB and it screams like a very noisy buzzer which is going to explode. If I just scroll without previewing the app crashes after 5mn.

Specs:

Mac pro 2010
El capitan 10.11.6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CC 2017 full of bugs
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:17:46 pm

That's why you never, EVER, install brand-new Adobe applications.
Their track record for getting things right the first time is less than stellar. WAY less. It takes a couple-three bug fixes before it's really usable, or it else takes arcane workarounds.

Glad to see you kept the older version. You can still get work done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
on Nov 22, 2016 at 7:12:54 pm

Looks like the last post was Nov 18 and the US Thanksgiving is fast approaching. I am thinking that waiting till mid December at the earliest might be a good jumping off point to install some updates. I was going to do so today but read all these bugs and just don't need the hassle. Truthfully I may just wait till January... Anyone know what the state of bugs are as of today?? Dave LaRonde seems to have his finger on the pulse of this patient. Well Dave alive or barely breathing ?

Mike B
Dandelion Picture and Sound

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2016 at 7:45:27 pm

[Michael Belanger] " Well Dave alive or barely breathing ?"

My company's still on AE CC 2015, and I get new versions at its whim. No personal experience with it.
There is a recent bug fix, but I wouldn't consider CC 2017 a workhorse. Not even close yet.

As long as you retain a working, reliable version, I'd say you ought to be okay. Don't let the download ace out your existing version(s). Just don't count on it to work properly, that's all.

And before you attempt it, it may not be a bad idea to clone your system drive or to make a disk image of your c drive, whichever applies. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:18:51 pm

So how do you update without stepping all over the current version. I do my updates via the widget on the mac CC app.
Have not even looked for a download only option. My guess is to just wait it out as I am running an older MacPro and have current projects. This kinda reminds me of FCP X but not quite as extreme

MB
Dandelion Picture and Sound

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 22, 2016 at 10:58:41 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:52:57 pm

there was an update on November. make sure it's 14.0.1 and you are good to go. yes there are some mild bugs but 2015.3 has some too. 2017 on my Pc is great and the november fix seemed to have resolved a long overdue bug with playback on Mac. install away and enjoy and don't mind the haters.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 2, 2016 at 8:13:24 pm

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem.

Is this on Mac or Windows?

In Preferences > Audio Hardware, what are your settings? A screenshot would be useful here.

If you change this, does the buzzing, and/or the crash go away?

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:22:50 am

Hello Tim,

Thanks for looking into this! If I change the output I get no sound at all (the only other option is the built in speaker of the mac pro Tower). App crashes on every type of project: 2d animation, color correcting only, subtitles on a 1080p clip etc) here's a screen of the audio preferences

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Nov 2, 2016 at 10:24:24 pm

I'm also finding Ae 2017 to be unusable. I had to upgrade because I was having issues with my installation and had to reinstall.

I opened a project from the previous version of Ae CC and it was converted for 2017. Playback of the 20 second long project causes the program to bog down horribly and audio playback sounds delayed and distorted.
System: Mac Pro Mid 2012
2x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4096 MB

internal SSD drive with external for media.

AE Settings-----------------------
Audio Hardware:
Device Class: CoreAudio
I/O Buffer 1024
Sample Rate 44100
"Attempt to force ..." unchecked.

Video Preview:
Enable Mercury Transmit (unchecked but I've tried both with and without and had the same horrible results)

end AE Settings --------------------

More info.
If I create a new project and import the same audio file and only play that file back, it sounds fine. As soon as I create a comp with three text layers that have animated presets applied and a single solid with an animated backgroun preset, the whole thing bogs down after about four seconds of playback.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:12:27 pm

May we assume that you're aware that there's no such thing as real-time playback in AE?

And I have things bog down, too -- but I have my preview set up to loop, and it's usually OK by the second time through.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:04:17 pm

This has been my experience with past versions as well and the behavior you describe is what happens on an iMac using the previous version of Ae. An iMac that I've used to work on this same project. The first time through, Ae is rendering the preview and it's slow. On the second playback or loop through, the render is usually done and it previews smoothly.

With this new update, however, the playback never smooths out. Even after a few attempts. Letting it play through once or twice doesn't help.

Return to posts index

Tommy Dimmel
on Apr 4, 2017 at 8:38:54 pm

Michael Litty posted "With this new update, however, the playback never smooths out. Even after a few attempts. Letting it play through once or twice doesn't help." Exactly my problem.

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:00:46 pm

> May we assume that you're aware that there's no such thing as real-time playback in AE?

Dave, that's at best misleading, and at worst completely false.

After Effects is designed to play back frames cached to RAM in real-time.

What tends to confuse this is:
- Bugs in recent releases of After Effects that cause real-time playback to not work consistently. With bug fixes in successive releases up to After Effects CC 2017, the remaining instances of these problems are fairly narrow, mostly macOS 10.11 and 10.12 with large screens. We are continuing to work on fixing this.
- After Effects is not designed to play back compositions in real-time _before_ the frames are cached to RAM*. While that can happen in certain cases, and the performance improvements made in recent releases actually make this more likely*, real-time playback is designed to occur once frames are cached to RAM.

* A major exception to this is an improvement in After Effects CC 2017, where many movie footage formats (QuickTime, MXF, H.264, etc.; but not image sequence formats like TIFF or EXR) can be played in real-time from disk, as long as no changes or effects or applied, and the overall machine performance and disk read speed allows this.

Saying that "there's no such thing as real-time playback in AE" can mislead other people, especially those who don't have as much experience with After Effects as you do.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:18:11 pm

Oh, really? You open a brand-new (to you) AE Project procured from elsewhere. You open the main comp. You hit the space bar. Bupkis.

Don't give me that nonsense about AE rendering in the background. The only tried-and-true method to get anything approaching real-time playback is a preview. Don't get sucked in by the propaganda foisted on the general public by your own Marketing Weasels.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stephen Burich
on Nov 9, 2016 at 11:12:29 pm

Really dude, I get real time crash. Two of my guys upgraded our machines all excited about the new features and now we can't complete our work because every time the space bar gets pressed it crashes. Any fixes yet?!?!?!?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:18 am

[Stephen Burich] "Two of my guys upgraded our machines all excited about the new features and now we can't complete our work because every time the space bar gets pressed it crashes. Any fixes yet?!?!?!?"

Nope. I hope they still have the older versions on their machines, or the'll have to re-download them.

The best advice I've seen so far for ANY new version is the following:
1) KEEP THE OLD VERSIONS!!!
2) Download the new version
3) Play with it and find the bugs while you still get work done in the old version(s)

And an Optional #4:

Since by renting the software you've already become an unwitting part of Adobe's Unpaid Beta Tester Program, you could submit bug reports. It's your choice. The first two are mandatory for continued ability to get work done. The third helps you learn the new software up to a point.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Noël Froger
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:18:14 pm

Hey,
Just found this post. And thought i could add my voice.

Adobe should be ashamed releasing After Effect without RAM realtime preview.

Actually the best stable up to date version is 2015.3 BUT in many case preview isn't realtime, Audio is delayed / Slowed down and so on. That's a joke ?

How could you think about adding a single feature to the software BEFORE sorting this out ? Realtime is mandatory period.

Return to posts index

Wallace Adrian D'Alessio
on Mar 4, 2017 at 5:01:30 pm

You know now that there IS, right?

Or is that PC only ?

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

fluxstringer@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/FluxStringer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fluxstreamcommunications

http://twitter.com/FluxStringer
http://mog.com/FluxMuse

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:13:51 pm

Hi Michael,

A few questions:

* In the Audio Hardware preferences, what is Default Output set to? A screenshot really would help here.
* What version of macOS are you using?
* Are you experiencing any other playback issues in either After Effects CC 2017 or CC 2015.3?

And is there any chance you could share a project with us that exhibits the problem? I recognize that you said you could reproduce it rather easily, but we cannot reproduce with that basic description, so it may be something specific to the files or settings you are using. Always best if we could see exactly what you're doing.

Return to posts index

Bram Rusman
on Nov 3, 2016 at 12:13:32 pm

I'm having the same issue. It seems that I can't work at all with the updated version. Every time I press the spacebar, it just crashes. Even when I open a new project with just a single shape layer without animations, it keeps crashing.. I haven't got the previous version of AE anymore.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor: 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:28:13 pm

Crashing when the space bar is pressed is not normal behavior. AE shouldn't do that, obviously. But YOU shouldn't be pressing the space bar in the first place -- you should be doing proper previews.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:10:12 pm

I had no idea there WERE different preview behaviors. Seeing your post and did a little poking around and found this page which went into more detail about space bar previews vs. "proper" previews.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/previewing.html

Still learning.

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
[SOLVED] Re: AE CC 2017 full of bugs
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:17:40 pm

I don't see any terminology in the preview pane that designates "proper" previews but changing the preview settings to this seems to have fixed the problem! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:13:05 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But YOU shouldn't be pressing the space bar in the first place -- you should be doing proper previews."

Preview changed a lot with the release of Ae CC 2015. The standard preview versus RAM preview distinction you're thinking of from Ae CC 2014 and previous no longer exists. Spacebar is the proper way to start a preview in CC 2015 and up.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:38:58 pm

My audio hardware dialog

Video Playback settings

I had real time playback on an iMac with 16GB RAM and Ae2015 installed. The iMac was probably a 2015 model, so newer than the Mac pro but the Mac Pro has these specs and should handle this little project.

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:18:31 pm

Tom, Michael, Bram,

Does your timeline have a lot of keyframes, or even just a lot of layers, visible when the problem occurs?

One of our developers is investigating a similar-sounding problem on this forum thread:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2231033

Does following his suggestions there, either minimizing or closing the Timeline panel, help with this problem? That helped for a user on that forum thread.

(I would appreciate if you would continue to post on that thread, which our developer is monitoring. I will be out of the office for an extended period soon and probably won't be replying to this thread for the next couple of weeks.)

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:41:05 pm

The strange thing for me is it happens sometimes, and sometimes I have no issues with the playback (I just played with it 2 hours as I'm currently using 2015.3 for my work projects), when it works correctly I can't see a very good upgrade in the preview speed vs 2015.3. When the crash happens, it can be on a 3 layers composition or 120 layers composition.

Another fact: When the playback crashes and I quit and relaunch the app, AE 2017 is unusable, very laggy, slow to load project files etc. I have to restart the computer. I'm monitoring CPU and it's at 10% max, same for RAM.

The huge issue I have is really with the screaming BEEP when I preview composition with audio file (even when I create a new project with just a mp3 or wav file in it)

Return to posts index

Zachary Johnson
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:51:21 pm
Last Edited By Zachary Johnson on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:16:28 pm

Here's a bug: I'm not able to select the topmost item within the project window. (Or twirl open the first item if it's a folder.) I can select any other item below it.

If I retitle any other item so that it moves to the first of the list alphabetically, then it becomes unselectable and the previously unaccessible item becomes selectable. This is true of comp items, footage, solids, whatever.

I also am unable to resort the Project Window by the "Name", "Label Group", and "Comment" column headings. They are also unselectable. Type, Size, Media Duration, and File Path column headings are clickable, however.

I'm on Mac OS 10.10.5.

Edit: After opening a 13.8.1 project, I'm unable to reproduce this error, even in newly created projects.

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:23:54 pm

I'm not sure what constitutes "a lot of layers" I had the original problem in a composition with around ten layers but Iwas able to reproduce it in a new project with only two graphic layers and one audio layer.

Return to posts index

Kevin Taylor
on Nov 4, 2016 at 2:12:20 pm

This is what I get when (improperly) previewing with the spacebar:

The timeline gets cached(?) – AE saves a file – and exits to the desktop showing an error window like the image above.

I'm running AE CC 2017 and OS X 10.12.1 on a newer (trashcan) Mac Pro.

This behavior is 100% of the time with a project created and converted from 2015.3.

I haven't see this happen with a new project made in 2017 yet. And importing the 2015.3 project into a 2017 project didn't trick it. The sequence I was trying to preview had no plugins running except Lumetri. I get the same result if I hide everything in the timeline and hit spacebar.

So I'm wondering where to start...clean install? Remove all third party plug ins? Live with it for another week until this legacy project is done and hope that a new project that originates in 2017 doesn't exhibit this behavior? Keep searching the help forums for what a "proper RAM preview means" ;-)

Kevin Taylor
Atlanta GA

Return to posts index

kit webster
on Nov 5, 2016 at 4:04:51 pm

How does one reinstall CC2015?

I had to delete it because it wasn't opening after installing 2017.

Return to posts index

Adam Simmons
on Nov 6, 2016 at 9:13:34 pm

Holy hell almighty! I've never updated and has such problems as with AE 2017. I just started a new project, brought in footage, dropped it on a timeline, hit play, and CRASH! Everytime. If I play footage, it crashes. What the hell?

Return to posts index

Mark Borgions
on Nov 7, 2016 at 11:32:36 am

Similar problem here.
Only a few keyframes. When hitting the spacebar, the preview starts but stops all responsiveness of the application. Need to hard relaunch the app after every single preview.

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 7, 2016 at 12:42:10 pm

Might be useful for some people who doesn't want to lose old AE versions: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2172589

Always uncheck "remove old versions" when updating Adobe softwares, especially if you're using them for a living. Adobe people always release beta builds since they started Creative Cloud, and for AE 2017 it's even an alpha release! I can't imagine how such a buggy version could have been greenlighted.

Return to posts index

David Clabaugh
on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:20:44 am

We can't be too hard on Adobe, they are only trying to bring AE up to speed with the preview thing, I am sure there's lots o' math involved with 2.5D, vectors, etc. and like Dave said, every new release is bound to be riddled with bugs, no company can escape it.

That being said, here is my workaround. I find that scrubbing is the only way to avoid the crash. While there is now sound, at least we can still work while they fix this.

I have a hunch that this has to do with audio sample rates. In the last update, audio first came out as a distorted down pitched version until the comp was cached. This leads me to believe that AE is downsampling the clock speed of the audio (playing 44.1K at 22K etc) while it caches the comp. This can always lead to problems in Audio DAWs and I think this is where the crash might be coming from, most soundcards don't like playing different clock speeds at the same time and every modern DAW converts any rogue sample rates to conform with the document. Just a guess.

I was also able to have a good preview by turning off sound, and checking "cache before playback" like you did Tom, but that isn't always helpful as you have to wait until it caches the entire comp and that can take lots of time. So scrubbing it is. I guess if sound were super crucial then porting it over to Premiere might be the best workaround for that.

Return to posts index

David Clabaugh
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:22:02 am

Update.... This is defo an audio problem, I was just able to preview a comp that had no audio in it, and it was fine, as soon as I switch to a comp with audio, BOOM...at least AE is saving my file.

So Adobe, FYI check your audio engine, there is a problem with audio encoder playback, probably sample rate conflicts with OS audio playback engine as I mentioned before.

Now I have to figure out a way to stop myself hitting the space bar while I work.

Return to posts index

Kevin Taylor
on Nov 8, 2016 at 8:13:31 pm

The comps I have that crash have no audio.

I have disabled "Play audio in Preview" as well but the behavior is still the same: hit Spacebar and crash. Hit numberpad period and crash. And so on.

Kevin Taylor
Atlanta GA

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 8, 2016 at 8:56:12 pm

We are investigating this problem. It does appear to be related to communicating with the audio device.

If you change the audio device being used in Preferences > Audio Hardware, does the problem go away? We think it may be more likely to happen if you have a multi-channel capable device. If you switch to a stereo-only device (ex., internal speakers), this may be less likely to happen.

Return to posts index

Carlo De Agostini
on Nov 9, 2016 at 8:48:28 am

Hi guys, I'm running AE CC2017 on a iMac Retina 5k OSX Sierra, I also have many issue with the previews that I solved minimising the Render Queue tab at the bottom of the screen, see the attachment.

I can't find the post where I read about this solution, the guy was saying that the problem is related to OSX that since El Capitan is refreshing constantly the panels, or something like that. I had the same issue with CC2015.

Since I did that it works perfectly on both my iMac and Macbook Pro late 2014 (OXS Sierra).

10772_screenshot20161109at09.43.18.png.zip

Return to posts index

Andrei Toth
on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:17:03 pm

Dear Adobe,

I am a big fan of you but you cannot do such big mistakes like releasing After Effects CC 2017 with huge bugs on elementary tools. I have the same problemes of crashing while previewing and even though I did all the changes recomended on this post I still was not able to resolve it. On top of that I cannot go back to the previous version of After Effects.

I wasted a day of work because of this and what you did is very unprofessional!

Andrei

Return to posts index

Alan Lomer
on Nov 10, 2016 at 12:12:43 pm

Hi Andrei,

You can go back to a previous version if you follow the steps here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic...
(You have to go to the 'Find Additional Apps' section, click 'All Apps' and choose 'View Previous Versions')

I had to install 2015 as that worked fine without problems. Pressing play in AE 2017 in any project crashed with this screen:

Return to posts index

Dave Graw
on Nov 15, 2016 at 4:43:16 pm

Hi Tim.

I am experiencing these same issues with the 'hard crash' in after effects when previewing.

I am using the new updated software CC 2017 (like everyone else) with a MAC Pro (Trashcan) 10.11.16 OS X and I have a black magic audio video out.

While migrating old projects into 2017 I started to experience the crash. I was able to pinpoint that it is an error with the audio (like almost everyone else - I am assuming).

Projects without audio, cache and render fine. Projects with audio just crash immediately.

After changing my audio preferences to display audio (instead of my black magic design, or MOTU audio interface) I am able to preview without the crash, but the end result is less than ideal. The audio playback is not 'correct' the errors vary from: distortion, pitch, speed, cutting out, etc... They previews also lag and sometimes get stuck.

Where is adobe with this?

Timeline?

This is kind of a huge bummer.

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:04:43 pm

Hi Dave,

It is indeed a bummer, and our apologies for the disruptions.

We're working on a solution for this. I'm not allowed to speak to a specific timeline, but we hope to have something available soon.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Nov 18, 2016 at 5:56:50 pm

I'm not experiencing crashes or any of the other really bad bugs but just today I started seeing really long times for saving and auto saving an a very simple project. I thought it was related to a heavy C4D file I had in there, but I deleted it after extracting the 3D data and the long saving remained. Nothing fancy going on, a png seq, an open exr seq, 3 cameras, two lights and a null.

Speaking of 3D data, the .aec format is no longer recognized by AE and Maxon hasn't released a new plug in, are there any planes of bringing back this functionality?

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:50:06 pm

I just started having this problem with the long saves.

I´ve been working with AE2017 since it launched and it was more than OK. Had one major crash but nothing to worry about. (I kept the older version for a while and made the jump only after feeling it was ok to do so)

Two days ago I had to go back to a project and AE started behaving in a weird way. Any time I delete something from the project or close a timeline I get a tortoise speed unnecessary auto-save. Some of them can get take as long as a minute.

Then AE comes back to life. It´s the same on regular saves and incremental saves.

I reduced the project as much as I could and it really didn't change anything. The project itself is quite simple really. I have some motion graphics and a single video inserted on it. I also re-rendered the video sent by the client but nothing changed.

Also tried another old project and creating a new test one from scratch...same deal.

It´s not a major work killing issue but it´s annoying and really takes you off of your line of thought and messes up the workflow.

I´m on Windows10. On a ASUS N550 - i7 2.4ghz - 16GB RAM - Nvidia GT750M - 500GB SSD HD for OS and 1TB SSD data disk on a caddy bay.

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/ninguem/

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Dec 1, 2016 at 9:46:42 pm

Adriano,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing these problems.

> Two days ago I had to go back to a project and AE started behaving in a weird way. Any time I delete something from the project or close a timeline I get a tortoise speed unnecessary auto-save. Some of them can get take as long as a minute.

We would like to take a look at your project to see if we can figure out what is happening. Could you send it to us?

Please contact me offline via email (kurkoski@adobe.com). Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Dec 19, 2016 at 12:34:42 am

Hi Tim. Sorry for taking so long to respond. And thank you for spending your time to do so.

I actually made a new project on AE and stuffed everything I could into it so it would (probably) break. It didn´t happen. It ran as smooth as it could. Fast saves, fast previews, fast scrubbing, etc.

And another job from the same client came and it went really well. (AEwise)

But last week the damaged project came back for changes and it´s now Sunday night as I put the finishing touches on it. This got from bad to worse. I turned off auto saves so that problem is over but now I can´t even preview. I´m animating using the Force basically.

Good thing I´ve been doing it for more than 10 years so I can tell (or think I can) that the animation is ok just by the distance of the keyframes.

The curious thing is it´s just on this particular project that I opened and worked on around the time I moved on to the newest version of AE.

I´d love to send you the project but I don´t know if it´s ok with the client. (BASF) Maybe I´ve said too much already.

I tried to open the project on another project, tried importing the project on a new one as well...nothing helps. And it´s one hell of a simple project. A couple matted out videos by timeline, some animated icons, type and boxes covered with a layer of MB Looks for good measure. 2D, 1080p. Nothing fancy.

I do believe something went wrong when I opened the project for the first time. Hopefully it´s gonna be buried with it. Never to haunt me again.

Cheers!

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/sucuri/

Return to posts index

Nick vongremp
on Mar 29, 2017 at 6:21:59 pm

Hey Tim,

I'm having a similar issue with one particular project where I'm not able to use my preview function, so I'm basically having to animate by force scrubbing.

Oddly, I can't use the "redo" function either. It remains greyed out.

When I start a new project preview and "redo" work fine. When I import the project I'm having issues with preview and "redo" both stop working. Deleted the project file from the new project and both features started working again.

Been working on this project for over a month and everything was working fine the first few weeks. I'm way too deep to try to start over.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Best,

Nick

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Mar 29, 2017 at 6:48:15 pm

> I'm having a similar issue with one particular project where I'm not able to use my preview function, so I'm basically having to animate by force scrubbing.
> Oddly, I can't use the "redo" function either. It remains greyed out.
> When I start a new project preview and "redo" work fine. When I import the project I'm having issues with preview and "redo" both stop working. Deleted the project file from the new project and both features started working again.

Nick, would you be willing to share your project with me so I could take a look at it?

Feel free to email me the link if you don't want to share it publicly. myLastName at myCompanyName dot com.

Return to posts index

Nick vongremp
on Mar 29, 2017 at 8:54:05 pm

Thanks for the response Tim. Not sure how I'd go about sharing the project with you since there are a several hundred GB's of files cut together at this point. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Mar 29, 2017 at 8:58:49 pm

Nick, I may or may not need to inspect the footage. Just the .aep may be sufficient.

Does every comp in the project have the problem, or only certain comps? If you reduce the project to the problematic comps, does that shrink the file size?

Dropbox, FTP, or whatever file transfer service you prefer is fine. I can arrange for an FTP on my side, but please email me first and we'll work out the details privately.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:16:35 pm

[Dave Graw] "This is kind of a huge bummer."

Yeah, especially if you allowed the new version to get rid of the older versions. Please tell me you didn't do that.

If you DID get rid of them, you can go back and get a couple older versions. The most up to date CC2015 and CC2014 would be good.

Here's the wisest advice I've heard about using brand-new Adobe software:

1) KEEP THE OLDER VERSIONS!!!
2) Download the new version.
3) Do your work on the older versions -- don't get sucked in by the new features on the newest version.
4) Play with the new version. You'll find bugs. There are PLENTY. And since you rent the software, you have unwittingly joined Adobe's Unpaid Beta Tester Program. Report the bugs out of the goodness of your heart and not for personal gain.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Venge Suurland
on Nov 14, 2016 at 9:18:04 am

Hello.
I know this isn't the prefered solution, but I've discovered a small workaround for the realtime preview and chrash problems.

In the timeline settings (right-click on the tab) go to the panel group settings and change it to Stacked Panel Group.
In my case I now get realtime previews and no crashes. But is sucks to work with stacked panels, so I hope Adobe fixes the problem soon.

Kindly Thomas

Return to posts index

Eric Houyoux
on Nov 17, 2016 at 8:41:51 am

For sure, the 2017 version of all post-production Adobe suite is behaving odd...

I was creating an AE TV Commercial yesterday on 2015.3 with an audio file produced in a pro studio and in wave format.

Preview was working.

Back on my MacPro with CC 2017 on it, I opened the same project (converted in 2017 so) and start previewing my job....
and crash before any preview !

I f I delete my .wav file, it work well. No crash !

Please, Adobe, don't start copying MICROSOFT attitude when in the 90's they used to release their new OS before the could be stable and well developped enough.

I agree to be beta tester for fine tuning problems but not te solve adobe engineering staff job ! I'm not paid for that when they are !

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 17, 2016 at 11:26:32 am

Everybody who is having issues with CC17 (especially playback issues) please install the latest update:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/after-effects-cc-november-2017-bug-fi...

if you can't see the update yet, wait a while until you see it. try relaunching Creative Cloud app by typing Ctrl+Alt+R.

this update is 14.0.1 and is a bug fix for many disturbing issues especially for Mac users. it does not fix all the bugs that are new with this release - look here for bug#2 and #3 that are still not fixed (bug #1 is fixed I believe): https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/known-issues-after-effects-cc-2017...

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Nov 18, 2016 at 5:48:46 pm

Can't tell if your problems are because of this but it's never a good idea to update old machines to newest operating systems. El Capitan was released 5 years after the machine you own, it demands more processing hardware than what your machine is capable.

I have a 2011 imac and kept it on Snow Leopard for as long as I could, then I upgraded to Yosemite when Adobe wouldn't work on SL anymore.

Return to posts index

Thomas Jardine
on Nov 29, 2016 at 2:46:20 pm

My AE 2017 was crashing every time I clicked on preferences. I found these workarounds on an adobe blog that are working for me.

By Rob - 2:24 AM on November 28, 2016 REPLY
On Mac cmnd+alt+shift and click AE app and it will let you delete preferences – this worked for me!!

By Richard Bolland - 12:24 AM on November 29, 2016 REPLY
After Effects kept crashing when clicking ‘Preferences’ – I fixed it by clicking my adobe login name underneath ‘preferences’ then selecting ‘Clear Settings’. Worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 29, 2016 at 4:26:50 pm

[Thomas Jardine] "My AE 2017 was crashing every time I clicked on preferences. I found these workarounds on an adobe blog that are working for me.
"

can you please post a link to these threads?

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Thomas Jardine
on Nov 29, 2016 at 5:02:23 pm

Hi Roei. Just scroll down through the comments.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/after-effects-cc-november-2017-bug-fi...

Return to posts index

Angeles Martinez
on Dec 12, 2016 at 12:23:38 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to include these workarounds. I tried clearing the Settings to open my Preferences and it worked!!

I'm completely new to After Effects. I only downloaded a trial version a few days ago and am in the middle of completing an animation project due in 2 days.

Getting to grips with the complexities of After Effects has been tough...But if on top of it I also have to cope with bugs and unexpected crashes...it's soul destroying...

The good news is there are websites like this where professionals like you share their expertise and knowledge altruistically.

Without you I wouldn't have been able to hand in my project as I was really at a loss with the constant crashing! So thank you!

Angeles

Return to posts index

Thomas Jardine
on Dec 12, 2016 at 4:59:30 pm

No problem Angeles. Coming off a regular video editing program IMovie or Premiere Pro or Final Cut, After Effects can definitely be a beast.

Hang in there!

Return to posts index

alistair liddell
on Dec 12, 2016 at 5:59:19 pm

In my opinion the last fully workable version of AE was 2014. Unfortunately as a freelancer all the companies I work at have updated to 2015 :(

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Mar 30, 2017 at 9:39:52 am

As I'm the one who started this thread, I wanted to add my 2 cents: I've waited til the beginning of March to reinstall AE 2017, and now everything works like a charm. Though I wanted to ask a question to everyone using CC 2017: does the interface seems snappier to you comparing to other versions? Rendering time seems to be the same but building the project, adding effects and generally working on the project seems a bit faster, I wonder if Adobe teams are working on this specifically before re-engineering the rendering process.

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Mar 30, 2017 at 10:13:24 am

PS: that would be cool if some of you could do this test https://vimeo.com/118053656 to see if clock speed beats multi processing once again in the new AE 2017.

Here's my result:

Setup: Mac Pro 5.1 32GB RAM, XEON 2X6 core at 2,66GHZ, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB

AE CC 2014 with MP ON: 5:38sec

AE CC 2017: 7:7sec

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]