ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

h.264 problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smithh.264 problem
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:28:33 am

I create a 1920x1080 AE comp with two pixel perfect solids and some text. There seems to be no way for me to get it into h.264 without getting the horizontal bands. Strangely, the text is unaffected. This is highly repeatable. I have tried it on different computers with different versions of AE (2014 and 2015). I guess it is really an encoding question. My next step is to educate myself in the ways of ffmpeg so that I can experiment with a (much) bigger number of h.264 codecs. Before I go and become a veritable codec guru I thought I'd see if one of you guys knows what's going on.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: h.264 problem
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 1:45:25 pm

H.264 is a LOSSY codec. It throws away image information to create smaller file sizes. There are few codecs that are lossless. This is a fact of digital video life you must get used to.

Lossy codecs are usually good enough to fool the human eye, especially when dealing with complicated images. But when you encode solid colors built at right angles, then subject the file to the kind of scrutiny you're using, you are bound to discover flaws. It's unavoidable.

You seek small file size and flawless encoding. IT DOES NOT EXIST! Kapiche?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: h.264 problem
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 1:46:51 pm

You're probably seeing what happens when you export to a codec with lower chroma subsampling.
More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: h.264 problem
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 2:11:32 pm

Thanks.

You know though Dave, I actually don't care much about file size. I just need it to be h.264. So, I'm actually looking for the least lossy version of h.264.

Thanks Tero. I think you are on the right track. I did read something along those lines and I will investigate more.

Do either of you, or anybody else for that matter, know the pros and cons of the different kinds of h.264 codecs?

Moscow State University does a well respected test of the different codecs every year. Six years ago, x264 was regarded as the best. But there are many others now and x264 is no longer the winner.

MAIN QUESTION MOVING FORWARD: WHAT H.264 IS BEST FOR STRAIGHT HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL LINES???????????!!!!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 2:21:02 pm

[Jerry Smith] "WHAT H.264 IS BEST FOR STRAIGHT HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL LINES???????????!!!!"

A 4:4:4 chroma subsampled one. The thing is that not all services/players/software support it. For example the Premiere Pro Mainconcept will either show these in black and white or they won't work at all.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:29:10 pm

Hey Tero. First order of business is iOS. Do you have a list of ones that are 222?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:39:27 pm

I meant 444, not 222.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 7:25:55 pm

[Jerry Smith] "First order of business is iOS"

The 4:4:4 profile is not natively supported in iOS.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 1:54:59 am

How do you know that 444 is not natively supported in iOS? The reason I ask is that the documentation is poor, old, and/or non-existent. We're talking AVPlayer here, not MP. Moreover, just this month people having trouble with videos that played in iOS9 not working in iOS10. Bakir recommends using Safari to find out what is supported, but I just use XCode.

SO, I'm really curious where you got that information. More curious than I am about my problem that I started the thread with! :D

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: h.264 problem
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 3:13:02 pm

Try Handbrake https://handbrake.fr/ which is a free x.264 encoder. tweak it and see if you get better results than AME and let us know. bare in mind that using highly contrasting colors and sharp angles is a tough test for a lossy compression.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:30:33 pm

Hey Roei. I'm trying to figure out what intermediate encoder to use. It seems I need one. Handbrake doesn't like Animation.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:40:35 pm

Animation is what I used when I encoded with Handbrake. what seems to be the problem? you can also try DNxHD or PNG

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:52:40 pm

I'm probably doing something wrong. Everything is greyed out. For both Animation and ProRes4444, it's greyed out and says no valid source found. I'm using Open under File menu.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:01:27 pm

just drag and drop into handbrake

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:38:12 pm

OK, yes thanks. Strange that open didn't work. So...

Good news: drag and drop worked.
Bad news: tried default and extreme settings, but no great improvement. Maybe lost one line of horizontal banding.

I'll investigate more tomorrow. x264 may not be what I need. It's designed for overall quality. I'll have to look for an h.264 that is optimized for lower thirds. My stuff is really just that. Dave put his finger on it.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:05:14 pm

[Jerry Smith] "I'll have to look for an h.264 that is optimized for lower thirds."

Are you rendering these lower thirds for use in some other program like an NLE?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 1:47:49 am

There not lower thirds. Their upper+middle+lower thirds. ? That's the best way of thinking of them. Solids and text. I don't even know what an NLE is

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:10:59 am

[Jerry Smith] " I don't even know what an NLE is"

Non Linear Editor as in a modern editing software. If you would be exporting these to someone else as graphical elements I would use a proper visually lossless codec like Prores or DNxHD.

That said. There probably isn't any channel where your footage would be shown with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling as it is mostly used in more advanced codecs during capture (eg. the Arri Alexa camera) or during post production. What one would send to TV broadcasters is usually 4:2:2 and video services usually use 4:2:0 so you are always losing some color information. This isnät usually a problem unless you use really strong colors. This is pretty much uncontrollable because of the limitations of the codec and this is what we explain to clients when the compressed version differ slightly from the master file. H265 will alleviate this to a point but it is also not in wide use yet.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:52:42 am

Hey Tero,

Thanks. I asked a follow up question above about iOS. Maybe you didn't see it?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:30:18 am

[Jerry Smith] "Thanks. I asked a follow up question above about iOS. Maybe you didn't see it?"

I answered it. Maybe you missed it?-)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 11:40:13 am

I'm sorry, I don't see any response. Here's what I wrote:

"How do you know that 444 is not natively supported in iOS? The reason I ask is that the documentation is poor, old, and/or non-existent. We're talking AVPlayer here, not MP. Moreover, just this month people having trouble with videos that played in iOS9 not working in iOS10. Bakir recommends using Safari to find out what is supported, but I just use XCode.

"SO, I'm really curious where you got that information. More curious than I am about my problem that I started the thread with! ?"

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 11:54:28 am

[Jerry Smith] "How do you know that 444 is not natively supported in iOS?"
[Jerry Smith] "SO, I'm really curious where you got that information."

From the various Apple device specification pages. The latest iPhone 7 supports High Level 4.2 which means 8 bit video with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. That said you could use a third party player that does the decoding without using hardware but if this is a video for a larger audience then they would need to have that too.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2016 at 12:59:50 pm

I just found an iOS library that seems to be custom made for me.

"AVAnimator supports two kinds of video content, lossless and lossy. Lossless mode is ideal for animations that make use of limited color spaces and have lots of pixels that do not change from frame to frame..."

http://www.modejong.com/AVAnimator/formats.html

Looks like I'll be able to use Animation in iOS!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]