ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which codec for lossless AE comps, ProRes422, back to Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys SherringWhich codec for lossless AE comps, ProRes422, back to Premiere?
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 11:46:36 pm

Hey folks,

so I'm in the late stages of editing my short film that will get me a bachelor degree, using Premiere as the main editing platform and AE for VFX. I've been selecting the footage in my Premiere timeline that's to have effects done to it and selecting 'Replace with AE Composition.' I did a paranoia test and tried to export some of it out of Premiere, but it hit a solid concrete wall and would not progress with the encoding. Dynamic linking has been giving me some hell. So my last resort now is exporting each individual AE comp I need, and there's a few of them, out of AE as it's own video file. My question is, what would be a recommended codec to choose in this situation as I'm not 100% savvy? TIFF Sequence? A Quicktime TIFF sequence?

So all of my original footage was shot with a Black Magic Cinema camera in 4K, resulting in Apple ProRes 422 HQ default codecs from what I can see. When I check the video properties of one of them in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, it tells me its bit rate is 737 Mbps? Bit rate is something I'm also trying to understand as well. I should have a bit rate of at least 10 Mbps for colour correcting? I'm intending to insert all the exported AE comps back into the main Premiere project timeline accordingly. I want to keep quality for colour correcting either in Premiere or DaVinci. I've been working with DNxHD proxys in Premiere but the original 4K's in AE. I intend to export a HD res final export utilizing 4K cropping and it's high information for good colour correction.

All and any help appreciated.
Rhys.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Which codec for lossless AE comps, ProRes422, back to Premiere?
by on Oct 29, 2016 at 12:34:46 am

Dynamic link is great, but can become extremely slow. I would stay away from it if you are doing any sort of complex effects. Export your effects from AE and import into Premiere. Quicktime Animation or an image sequence are good if you need an alpha channel, otherwise Pro Res should be fine.

Also, you are confusing bit rate and bit depth. Bit rate is how much data is included per second of video. Bit depth is how much color information is in each pixel.

Return to posts index

Rhys SherringRe: Which codec for lossless AE comps, ProRes422, back to Premiere?
by on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:04:59 am

Unfortunately I'm working from a PC and don't see any ProRes codec options available. Is there any difference in going with a Quicktime Format >TIFF codec, compared to just going straight TIFF format?

Whats the advantage of keeping an alpha channel intact anyway?

Thanks, mate!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Which codec for lossless AE comps, ProRes422, back to Premiere?
by on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:09:01 pm

[Rhys Sherring] "Dynamic linking has been giving me some hell. So my last resort now is exporting each individual AE comp I need, and there's a few of them, out of AE as it's own video file."

Check out the render and replace workflow [link].

I'd suggest using either Cineform or DNxHR as your intermediate codec.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]