ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting and Scale To Fill

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithExporting and Scale To Fill
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:25:02 pm

I export an AE 1920x1080 project to AME and the Animation codec at 1920x1080. Then when I take that export and try and encode it with a 1920x1080 h.264 codec preset that I made, it shrinks it. So every time I need to go in and set it to scale to fill. WHY? Everything is 1920 by 1080. Kinda defeats the purpose of having custom presets.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Exporting and Scale To Fill
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 1:59:06 pm

I'd recommend starting with one of the H.264 presets that already come with AME and only tweak the parts that you need to tweak. It's likely that something is screwy with your preset causing the issue.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Exporting and Scale To Fill
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:53:05 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks. But I've tried it every which way.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Exporting and Scale To Fill
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 2:00:00 pm

I am not following. if you created a 1920x1080 Animation movie and imported to AME, and you choose a preset for 1920x1080 - how does it shrink it exactly? if the resolution is the same you won't see any difference in AME's source scaling. please share a few full screenshots. you can copy paste to the text field here or drag and drop.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:59:00 pm

Hey Roei,

Thanks. In AME, you can make your own custom presets. But there is no way to set how your preset will deal with mismatching sized inputs and outputs. Once you load up something to render you can then apply your preset and you can then click on the yellow link and it opens the window where you can see a big version of what you are working with and there you can set Scale To Fill or whatever you want. For some reason, AME thinks there is a mismatch between my 1920x1080 lossless Animation codec and my lossy h.264 codec and so if I don't change anything, I get a big black box around my video in the h.264 codec. It's kind of a pain to send screenshots as I don't surf the web with my work machine. But I'm not sure what a screen shot would add.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Exporting and Scale To Fill
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 9:08:54 pm

[Jerry Smith] "But there is no way to set how your preset will deal with mismatching sized inputs and outputs."

if you create your preset through the export settings, it will remember your source scaling every time. you can set it to scale to fill.

there is something weird with your preset if any of these options changes anything with your composition when you export the exact resolution of your preset. make sure match source is checked. I would follow Michael's advice and use one of the H.264 presets that already exist in AME and carefully change just what you need.

[Jerry Smith] "But I'm not sure what a screen shot would add."
it would help us know what exactly is going on because you could be missing something that's right there.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2016 at 8:00:33 pm

Hey Roei,

Thanks. In AME, you can make your own custom presets. But there is no way to set how your preset will deal with mismatching sized inputs and outputs. Once you load up something to render you can then apply your preset and you can then click on the yellow link and it opens the window where you can see a big version of what you are working with and there you can set Scale To Fill or whatever you want. For some reason, AME thinks there is a mismatch between my 1920x1080 lossless Animation codec and my lossy 1920x1080 h.264 codec and so if I don't change anything, I get a big black box around my video in the h.264 codec. It's kind of a pain to send screenshots as I don't surf the web with my work machine. But I'm not sure what a screen shot would add.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:18:55 am

I'm sorry guys. I found the problem. Yes, a screenshot would have helped. i somehow unclicked the aspect ratio lock and one of the presets was 1920x1280! So sorry to waste your time. Thanks for the help. To make it up to you, I did put a screenshot in my new post. :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]