ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett UnderhillRETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it
by on Oct 24, 2016 at 5:29:52 pm

Okay, this is relatively unimportant, but has been bothering me and I can't find a quick answer or fix.

Typically to rename a Layer in AE one hits the RETURN key and the Layer name is selected, just like with File and Folder names in the Finder window on a Mac. Recently, when I select a Layer and press the RETURN key, the entire Layer name deletes. I can't figure out what happened and how this shortcut changed (the Finder window and Adobe Premiere file name selection still works traditionally with the RETURN key). I don't think this is an Adobe AE update change, and I certainly haven't touched any short cut keys (unless I inadvertently toggled something).

Anyone else have this issue or know how to revert back?

Return to posts index

Tim KurkoskiRe: RETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it
by on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:35:10 pm

This is a bug in After Effects on macOS 10.12 Sierra. It does not affect 10.11 or earlier versions of macOS.

What appears to be happening is that when you press the Return key to rename, the line return character is also being placed in the keyboard buffer. Because After Effects selects the name of the layer/footage/effect/item when you press Return to rename, the line return character is replacing the highlighted text.

This is not obvious, and worse, if that item is referenced by an expression, the expression will be updated with the line break. This causes the expression to fail since the line break happens in the name string, and you can't fix it without removing the line break from the name, since the line break is now a _required_ part of the name. (!)

This bug is fixed in the upcoming release of After Effects. Until then, we recommend you either:
A) Right-click on the item and choose Rename, instead of using the Return key.
B) Immediately after pressing Return to rename, press the Delete (backspace) key to delete the line break character.

While I'm on the topic of new bugs introduced into After Effects by macOS 10.12 Sierra, here are the others we are aware of:
- In the View menu, the Show Guides and Clear Guides commands are labeled as "Show Grid" and "Lock Guides". (The existing Lock Guides and Show Grid commands are present; this is only a labeling problem with the Show Guides and Clear Guides commands.) Clicking on the commands still works, although the Show Guides command toggle state doesn't work properly; we recommend you use the keyboard shortcut (Command+;) or the same command in the Grids and Guides Options button at the bottom of the Composition panel. Also, at the top of the View menu, a superfluous Show Tab Bar command appears, which does not work. (The forced addition of this Show Tab Bar command is what is causing the problem with the other commands.) In the upcoming release of After Effects, these bugs are fixed.
- Scrolling to zoom in the Composition, Layer, and Footage viewer panels is extremely sensitive on macOS 10.12 Sierra with Apple touch devices, like Apple's Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. This does not affect non-touch devices, like a mouse with a physical scroll wheel. We believe this is an OS-level problem, as many applications are reporting the same issue. We are continuing to investigate this, but have heard, anecdotally, that the 10.12.1 update (currently available as a beta) fixes this. (While investigating, we did take this opportunity to make a change: in the upcoming release of After Effects, inertia scrolling is now disabled when zooming in the viewer panels, which makes the scrolling experience much smoother on all versions of macOS.)

Return to posts index

Brett UnderhillRe: RETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it
by on Oct 24, 2016 at 7:16:16 pm

Thanks, Tim, this is exactly it, it does leave the space as well. And that makes sense, I just updated to Sierra so that would coincide with the bug. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy and didn't toggle something.

I've been doing "B" as a work around, which is a quick extra setp and will likely become reflexive until the next Adobe update.

Return to posts index

Bronson HooverRe: RETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:30:59 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem with this bug. It was driving me nuts. Thanks for the news of an update.

++bronson

Return to posts index

Brett UnderhillRe: RETURN Key now deleting Layer Name rather than selecting it
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:45:04 pm

It has since been fixed if you update your AE. Bug is gone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]