ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exclude from Adjustment Layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean Byrne
Exclude from Adjustment Layer?
on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:10:55 pm

I don't suppose there is an easy way to tell a layer not to be effected by the adjustment layers above it? I have a bunch of stuff being distorted and blurred by several adjustment layers, and I like it, but now I want to put in a text label that goes under some of the elements, but doesn't get distorted.

I know I could duplicate my adjustment layers, move the dupes under my text label, and then create a pre-comp for all the layers and the adjustments above my label - but I hate breaking apart all my related items into their own little worlds, when it can be helped. Especially when there is still a lot of back and forth tweeking left to do...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exclude from Adjustment Layer?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:17:35 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:21:33 am

[Ocean Byrne] "
I don't suppose there is an easy way to tell a layer not to be effected by the adjustment layers above it?"

Nope. In fact, it's impossible. Adjustment layers affect EVERY layer below them.

[Ocean Byrne] "I have a bunch of stuff being distorted and blurred by several adjustment layers"

SEVERAL adjustment layers? All in one comp? Why? What good purpose does it serve? As you must be painfully aware of at this point.

You must have grown up on Photoshop. You use adjustment layers only when you have to... and from your description, you don't have to. It's too easy to copy-paste effects from one layer to another. Do it that way and save the adjustment layers for those rare occasions when you can't achieve what you want by putting the same effect on multiple layers.

[Ocean Byrne] "I hate breaking apart all my related items into their own little worlds, when it can be helped. Especially when there is still a lot of back and forth tweeking left to do."

That's what expressions are for. Just pick-whip from your layers to one "master control". layer. That's the ONLY one you have to tweak.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:50:27 am

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take issue with your normally sage like advice Dave. (I still love you though)

I have several adjustment layers, cause it makes sense. One layer does a turbulent displace on everything below. The next one has an inverted feathered radial mask and blurs out the edges. A duplicate of this layer does so a little less, and lives above the other regular layers that need to stay more crisp and live above the previous edgeblurrerer. Then there is a glow adjustment layer, and a levels adjustment layer. I suppose these two effects could be on the same layer easy enough, but I like having them separate, and labeled in the comp, and when you hit "u" you only see the relevant keyframes instead of a bunch you don't currently care about...

I can certainly see there is potential to get in to trouble with adjustment layers, but I quite like them and see no reason to use them only when I have to.

The copy/paste approach of putting the same effect on multiple layers has lots of potential issues too. A- I have a lot of layers. B- Some of them use a trackmatte from the layer above which would not play nice with the blurring effect. C- when you go to fine tune your effect, you have to make your adjustments on every layer, or set up pickwhip links, which are cool, and a good way to link stuff between precomps too, but when you're dealing with multiple layers, some of which have Particular on them with a ton of animated channels, and you got a camera, and nulls helping to move it..., pickwhipping it good doesn't sound so appealing.

Nowhere near as appealing as being able to say, this one layer here, exclude it from the Adjustment layers A, B, and F...

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:47:10 am

I understand the frustration and the need for one or two layers to be excluded. Unfortunately there is no way of doing this without precomping into different composites. If layer based compositing is too limited for you maybe you should see if node based is more appealing.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:27:09 pm

I usually have to do this sort of thing (to some extent it works)

The workflow, once you get used to it, doens't take too long. I have a shortcut (for a script) that duplicates the layer and links every property (like an instance of the layer). Then I precomp this along with any cameras and use it as an alpha matte for the adjustments.

You said you want the layer below some other things. When I need to solve this I usually "instance" those things too and tint them black. Tint the layers I want white. And use the precomp as an inverted luma instead.

Its not pretty, but it does the job.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:06:12 pm

You have a script that creates a linked instance duplicate of a layer?

It duplicates and links all aspects of the layer, not just pos/rot/scale, but layer effects, and effect effects like Particular with it's 80 some parameters and links every one of them to follow their daddy?

Do please tell me you have such a script, and where I can find it...?

Please let it be so!!!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 21, 2016 at 6:59:35 pm

Yes it does, you can get it here:Duplicate with Connections

Just keep in mind that there are some properties of some effects (particular included) that can't be referenced, though those usually can't be animated too. But TC's particular usually works well with the script.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]