ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PrPro-AE with audio syncing- Help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah DerksenPrPro-AE with audio syncing- Help
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:59:24 am
Last Edited By Micah Derksen on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:02:40 am

Ok, so this is kind of hard to explain. I synced 15 videos to an audio track in Premiere Pro, making the mistake of not getting each video the same length- it looks something like this (they are synced to the green audio track)- . I then linked each video as a comp. into Ae and started compositing. All worked well up until here. Then I brought in my final BG animation into AE and brought all the linked comps into a new comp. Now when I bring the new linked comp into Premiere Pro, the videos won't be synced to the audio. The reason of the new comp. is I want to track the position of each clip onto the BG.
Any ideas what I can do about the syncing problem?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing-
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:16:21 pm

It would be a lot easier to just bring your whole Premiere sequence into AE. Go to Import>Import Premiere Pro Composition in After Effects and it will launch a tool to bring your sequence into AE with all the layers synced up just fine.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Micah DerksenRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing-
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:14:36 pm

That may have been a good option, except that I can't import the linked AE comps from Premiere- It says those comps are missing.

Return to posts index

Micah DerksenRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing-
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:27:15 pm

I should have done what you said, right at the beginning, that would have been way better than what I did- replacing each separate video as an AE comp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:30:39 pm

First, GET RID OF ANY MP3s IN PREMIERE. No ifs, ands or buts. U se Auditio n to convertto aiff or wav files at 48 kHz 16 bits or more.
Why? Mp3s are unreliable. Smart PP editors don't use them. They've probably been burned by them in the past themselves.

Next, export the audio ONLY. Import into AE. You'll use this as a reference. You can get the many clips into AE however you want, probably Dynamic Link.

Next, sync up everything to the audio in AE. When done, RENDER a video-only file for import into PP. Put it into the PP timeline.

Dynamic Link isn't totally reliable. Until it is, I favor using it sparingly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Micah DerksenRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:19:48 pm

I know my main track is a .aif, and all the other tracks are from the camera (t3i, I don't know what format), and are just there so Premiere could sync to the main track. So are you meaning, I will manually have to line sync these files in AE? I might run into a problem there again, as my video files are already AE comps in PP, and I can't double import them into AE, as it just says those files are missing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 5:24:58 pm

[Micah Derksen] " ...my video files are already AE comps in PP, and I can't double import them into AE, as it just says those files are missing."

There's nothing that says you have to USE the audio in the comps, if you stick with your current workflow. Just export an aiff or wav from PP and use it as your audio reference for sync purposes.

At the moment, you're trying to use PP as a substitute for AE... which it isn't. AE's designed to handle a boatload of clips in a single shot. Furthermore, the effects you've applied to all those clips may not come through to AE. In fact, I'd be surprised if they do.

If it were my project, I'd export audio for reference, use Dynamic Link to get the video (NO EFFECTS!) into AE, do all my voodoo in AE, render the completed shot (no Dynamic Link!) and import the video only into PP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Micah DerksenRe: PrPro-AE with audio syncing
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 8:05:20 pm

Basically what i was trying to do, and am still trying, is to get the videos synced with the track in PP (as it would be hard to do right in AE), and bring the videos into AE and do the effects and tracking.
So I decided to just go back to an autosave of the PP project (where the audio is synced), and import that sequence into AE, and now I'll have to copy the effects I had from the previous project in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]