ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to reveal on this Lower 3rd

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam CainoHow to reveal on this Lower 3rd
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 1:50:06 am

Hi Folks,

I recently started using After Effects and I'm looking for advice from some experts. I have this logo that I want to reveal on as part of a Lower 3rd. I'd like to see it growing as if the lines were being drawn on screen. First the top half then the bottom.

I've tried the Write On effect but it's not quite right since the brush is round. I've tried simple wipes and transitions. Any would work in a pinch, but none look like how I imagine.

So, you AE Experts out there, how would you reveal on this logo? I'd love to learn a new technique that makes it a dynamic effect.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: How to reveal on this Lower 3rd
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 1:56:34 am

[Sam Caino] "I have this logo that I want to reveal on as part of a Lower 3rd. I'd like to see it growing as if the lines were being drawn on screen. First the top half then the bottom."

first you should place it in the context of the screen and typography. first create a still frame to see how big is it there. lowerthirds are not logo reveals and require less sophisticated animation to not draw too much attention. do you have this file as an Illustrator file? if you do, you may have more options for the animation. a general advice would be to reveal it with the flow of the shape and with respect to the context of the brand this logo represents. maybe from the center outwards.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Sam CainoRe: How to reveal on this Lower 3rd
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:02:10 am

Thank you for your insight. I love the idea of doing it from the middle out. I do have it as an Illustrator file. I'm hoping not to go there yet as I haven't studied up on vectors. However, I'm open to trying anything.

Off the top of your head, how would you get started revealing it from the middle out?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:17:27 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:17:58 am

if these are strokes of constant widths and plain brush and not fill's, you could convert it to shapes and use a trim path operator.

this maybe look better than you thought by randomly opening all the paths too.

if this does not work, you could in Ae paint a pen path over each stroke and reveal it with the stroke effect. this could be the better approach because maybe your shapes won't convert correctly. still you should make sure your logo's animation does not steal the attention because the title is more important and the logo should not be too distracting

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Sam CainoRe: How to reveal on this Lower 3rd
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 3:06:40 am

Thank you for your help. Trim Path created an odd effect. Maybe they're fills. The Illustrator file was provided to me, so I don't know. That's a great feature to know, though. I am going to take a tutorial on it.

Stroke Effect would work better if the brush was square, not round. Is that possible?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2016 at 4:20:54 am

Not with stroke effect alone. Maybe with combination of another effect but you can use shape layer stroke that has square tip and use it as an alpha matte for your logo.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

jay muellerRe: How to reveal on this Lower 3rd
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 1:43:48 pm

It may be tedious, but you could use the stroke effect as a matte reveal for each line.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]