ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moiré!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Dominic
Moiré!
on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:54:34 pm

I am the lead designer and animator on a 6 hour series on WW1 for PBS.

In the show we have several maps that are animated in many ways. They are all more or less the same as the image below.

In post/color correct all of the lines and text show some degree of moiré. If we give it a slight blur it fixes it, but the small text is illegible. The text is part of the image.

Is there something that I can do without editing my maps to help stop the moiré?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Moiré!
on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:38:52 pm

The blur is your best bet. A look at the map reveals there is a lot of fine detail; that river in France is probably the worst offender.
If you scale a map down, some of those fine lines will actually be less than a pixel wide. Then if you move on it, it's a crap shoot on how AE will handle the fine detail.

It wouldn't be too much of an issue if the detail was lower contrast. I suspect the textures on the map aren't too bothersome. Unfortunately, you're often dealing with black details on light colors.

If the maps are prepared especially for this production, I'd request thickening some of those lines.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Dominic
on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:46:13 pm

Thanks for the response. I think thickening the lines and enlarging the font may be the solution.

One of the issues is that I can't see the moire in AE. They only see it on the Avid and in color correct.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2016 at 5:13:35 pm

[Michael Dominic] "They only see it on the Avid and in color correct."

It sounds like they're working at 1920x1080, 29.97 interlaced, which would explain it.

An incorrect field oder would also explain it; I presume you know that at 1080, the field order for interlaced is Upper Field First. An incorrect field order wouldn't be immediately noticed if there's no motion, but would look really bad on any motion in the rendered clips.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 20, 2016 at 1:51:06 am

about the text - why not retouch the maps in photoshop while maintaining the spirit of design? you could content aware the text parts of these maps and replace them with Live text (same font) that could scale in or out as you zoom in or out to your map. these maps are created for paper and not for screen, and if possible they should be adjusted accordingly because you would not be able to read it on screen.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]