ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Corner pin effect with more points/pins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ferenc van der VeldeCorner pin effect with more points/pins
by on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:28:57 pm

To demonstrate how my visuals look in-stage I would like to map video footage on a photo of a stage. The photo is a front view of the stage, however not all the LED screens are perpendicular to the camera view. Here's a photo to illustrate this:

I would like to match the footage with the perspective of the stage (the part in the pink border). What I need is a corner pin effect, but with more points. I've tried the method with the reshape effect as shown in this video, but this bulges the footage and does not give me straight perspective lines:

I could split the video footage into multiple parts and apply a corner pin effect on each of them. This is a quite a bit more work and I think this can be done easier.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Corner pin effect with more points/pins
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:02:09 am

Corner pin effect with more points/pins -> 12 points. for more warp power, mesh warp is my favorite. all of these are under distort category. there are also plugins out there: https://www.redgiant.com/products/warp-effects/

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ferenc van der VeldeRe: Corner pin effect with more points/pins
by on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:32:47 am

Thanks for the quick reply Roei! The problem with mesh warp (and with corner pin) is that the effect relies on the edges of the layer and not of a mask. My footage is a huge comp (4800x1260) with all the content for each screen in it. I would like to mask a part of this comp and then warp it "corner-pin style".

I think the best way for now is to create a new comp for each LED screen. Now I can use the mesh warp you mentioned. It gets the job done, but I would really like to get rid of those bezier handles because I want to end up with straight lines. Can this be done with one of the effects you mentioned?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:22:14 pm

Ok, those mesh warp bezier handles need a lot of eyeballing to get things to match. If I just could ALT click the anchor points to delete the handles.

For now I'm putting a grid on my footage and try to get every grid line straight with the photo. There has to be an easier way...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2016 at 7:17:20 pm

if you need more flexibility in texture mapping then this is probably more suited for a 3D software. read here:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1060099

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:46:35 am

Hah, I've tried almost all the solutions he mentioned as well. It's just weird that there isn't a standard AE effect for this. It seems like a simpler effect to code then the mesh warp effect with its curves and bezier handles. A 3D program would be overkill for such an simple distortion effect.

For now I've made seperate compositions for each LED screen and used the 4 corner pin effect. A lot of work at first but the warping is very easy from then. Everything aligns perfectly with the perspective now. Below an image to illustrate the difference between mesh warp (left) and the corner pin (right). Both halves should be an exact mirror.

It took me a lot of time to get all the bezier handles right for the mesh effect on the left and it's still a bit off. The 4 corner pin effect on the right is perfect and if you have everything in seperate compositions it takes a few minutes to get everything in place.

So long story short, for this kind ribbon perspective, split your footage in multiple comps and use 4 corner pin :)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:24:58 pm

[Ferenc van der Velde] " It's just weird that there isn't a standard AE effect for this. It seems like a simpler effect to code then the mesh warp effect with its curves and bezier handles. "

I agree that this kind of a distortion effect would be useful. how about sending a feature request? http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]