ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing scale of vector graphics?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael TeshChanging scale of vector graphics?
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:22:13 pm
Last Edited By Michael Tesh on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:24:28 pm

I'm working on a project with a designer. She created the vector graphics in illustrator and has been sending them to me through CC library. I've been doing the animation in AE. I've done a lot of animation so far, but now the client wanted to change some of the graphics and she changed them, but when she did she resized them first in illustrator to work on them. Now when I import them and try to replace them on the timeline, my scale and positioning is all wrong because they are bigger than before.

Is there a way to force a certain initial scale size for these graphics which are now 396% larger than initially?
As these are coming into AE through the library my only import option is just "import."
I thought I might be able to do it after importing by interpreting the footage like you can with raster video files, but there is no option for that.

Anything I can do about this? Otherwise I have to redo all this animation.
I asked her if she could do anything about it from her end in Illustrator, but she says she can't.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Changing scale of vector graphics?
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:43:21 pm

Sorry, there's nothing even close to being automatic about this.

If the anchor points are in the same relative position as the originals, you might be able to get away with using the Replace Footage command, then scaling the new replacement layers down. If you're animating the scale of the other layers, you may also be able to get away with parenting the new layers to the older ones.

However, we don't know enough about your animation to be sure if you can that successfully.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved