ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating just one side of a square

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Kruul
Animating just one side of a square
on Oct 18, 2016 at 4:48:15 pm

I have a shape path with a square on it that has no fill and a stroke. What I want to happen is I want to animate one side of the square so that it compresses, but I don't want the top side of the square to move, so essentially I just want the bottom side of the square to move up and the two vertical sides of the square to adjust to the new height. I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out how to do this.

Every time I try to change the Size of the Rectangle, it adjusts from the middle. Moving the layer anchor point up does't help this and the Rectangle itself does not have an Anchor Point property - just size, position and roundness. Am I missing something?

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Animating just one side of a square
on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:15:36 pm

You'll want to animate the shape layer's path. It's easy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:18:41 pm

Hm, sounds simple enough. I don't actually see where to animate the path, though. The only attributes listed under Rectangle Path are Size, Position, and Roundness. There's no separate attribute for Rectangle Path, otherwise I would animate its path like I would a mask path. Do you mind pointing out how to do this?

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:23:56 pm

Twirl down the shape layer properties. You'll find it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:34:04 pm

? I must be really thick, because I still don't see it!

----
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 18, 2016 at 9:07:33 pm

The easiest thing to do would be to convert that parametric shape to a Bezier shape. Then do what Dave suggests.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Oct 18, 2016 at 9:23:09 pm

Thanks, Michael - in doing some research it looks like there is no way to convert the shape so I'll have to redraw the box and match, which isn't a problem. TIL if I hold Alt (Option) while drawing a shape, it will draw a bezier shape. I'm then able to move the sides of the square like I want, which is great! Thank you

----
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 18, 2016 at 9:27:25 pm

[Martin Kruul] "it looks like there is no way to convert the shape"

Yes you can! In After Effects version 12.2, that feature was added!

From this page [link]:

command for converting a parametric shape layer path to a Bezier path

You can convert a parametric path to a Bezier path after the parametric path has already been created by context-clicking (right-clicking or Control-clicking on Mac OS) the property group for the parametric path (e.g., Rectangle Path 1) and choosing the Convert To Bezier Path command from the context menu. If the parametric path is animated (keyframed), the converted Bezier path is a static path based on the parametric path at the current time; keyframes are lost.

It was a popular feature request and they implemented it for us!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 19, 2016 at 7:55:05 am

Here is how to do it with size:

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]