ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Match Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah DerksenMatch Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 3:56:38 pm

I'm wondering how to make a greenscreen subject match a background in After Effects. I have gotten a shadow, matched colors and grain, but just wondering what else I could do to make subject blend in more. The subject is in a cathedral.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Match Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:19:11 pm

This is called compositing, and it's a very big subject. Posting a picture of your comp as it stands now and soliciting feedback might help.

In general, creating a convincing composite means you remove any visual cues that suggest the two elements were shot separately under different conditions, and add a few visual cues that suggest they were shot together. That means plausibly matching color, grain, exposure, lighting, camera lensing, and focus across the background and foreground. It means minding the edges of the foreground, and maybe doing some lightwrap around the subject. It may mean a few adjustments to the composite as a whole to make it feel integrated.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Micah DerksenRe: Match Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:31:46 pm

Hello,
the attached picture is a rough draft of what it will look like (I still have to add 10 more bk vocals, so 5 on each side in the bk).
I noticed that the masks when transferring from Premiere to AE, are showing up as lines- so the mask shape is showing up in AE. Should I just redo the mask in AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Match Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:47:24 pm

Sorry, I don't see any attached picture.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 7:09:59 pm

Oops! Sorry- here it is-

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 7:48:27 pm

I actually figured out the masks. I just set the mask expansion to -5, and the mask outline disappeared.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:23:11 pm

Do the lighting angles on the chroma key subject and the background match? If they don't, your eyes will smell a rat, so to speak.

Not that it matters all that much in a cathedral! They're typically pretty dark on the inside, and you'd light the subject separately anyway.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 5:39:26 pm

I did try to match the lighting, though I am an amateur. I just looked up a couple videos online, and tried to make it work. I will try to post a picture soon.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 8:00:48 pm

That's a pretty nice-looking key.

Two things I'd try:
Add a little light wrap on the subjects' left sides to brighten them up on the side of the main light source.
Try using the Optics Compensation effect on the background to get rid of the fisheye effect at the sides.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2016 at 8:28:18 pm

The fisheye effect I can correct- I rendered it out of blender with a large sensor size which was selected by the model's designer.

With the lighting- the light source is coming down from the right side windows.
[Dave LaRonde] "Add a little light wrap on the subjects' left sides to brighten them up on the side of the main light source."
Do you mean the left face side was supposed to be the main light source side and the shadow should have been on the left face side?
i had it set up that way, but changed it as I knew the lighting in the cathedral would make the shadow on the left side- I probably shouldn't have made such a definite shadow on the face.

How do I do a light wrap?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Match Subject and BK with Greenscreen Shot
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 8:56:19 pm

[Micah Derksen] "How do I do a light wrap?"
Lots of resources out there. See this: https://www.google.com/search?q=light+wrap+after+effects
This tutorial here at the COW would probably be a great place to start: https://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE_Lite-Bite_Light-Wrap-Effect...

Since your background is being created in 3d software, I'd recommend trying to get the lighting on the background to match a bit more closely to the people if you can.

Definitely look at the white parts and black parts of both images. The people don't go nearly as dark as the background does, so either crush the blacks a bit on the people or soften the darks on the background. Also, the BG is very blue, the people should have a bit of a blue tint as well.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2016 at 8:56:38 pm

Here is the link to the finished video if anyone is interested!

(you can adjust up the quality in the lower right-hand corner)
Thanks for everyone's help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]