ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Custom Text Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron LudwigCustom Text Animation
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 9:46:28 pm

Before now I've been doing all my text animation by hand (type out the phrase, duplicate layers, mask each to single word of phrase, keyframe the scale or position, etc, and that makes each word move independently), which gives a great end-result but it's obviously very labor-intensive. I've wanted to start trying to create some custom presets using the text animator function (the little "Animate" with an arrow that appears when you expand a text layer) and selectors.. but I'm not finding a good way to control some crucial elements of the animation.

For example, I had two words, and added an "Animate > Scale" parameter (not sure if "parameter" is the right term), hoping to get each word to scale from zero to 100%. But they both seem to be scaling from the bottom-left of their word. I'd love to set a custom anchor point for this scale, to have each scale from the center of itself, but normal anchor-point shifting doesn't seem to be helping at all (there's a tiny x where the text is scaling from, seems independent from the anchor point), plus there doesn't seem to be a way to set custom anchor points for each word...

Anyway, I'd love to be able to control these kinds of things and maintain that efficiency that these animation functions provide (being able to change the text but keep the animation, being able to have it animate by character or by word or by line, etc).

Am I missing something obvious? I'm very very new to these text animators and selectors, so that could easily be the case. I've done EVERYTHING manually up to this point. Or Is this a "having your pie and eating it too" scenario, where I'm asking too much?

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: Custom Text Animation
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 12:55:09 am

Hi Aaron, there is a series of extremely good tutorials here on Creative Cow by Andrew Devis about Text Animators which you might find very useful - not only for the preset animations and knowing how to customise them, but how to create your own.

Return to posts index

Aaron LudwigRe: Custom Text Animation
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 3:08:16 pm

Wow! Awesome tutorial-- totally answers my questions. Thanks Greg!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved