ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali JassimPreserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:20:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm having an issue in preserving the frame rate in nested compositions. I saw many examples and tutorials where people were able to nest many compositions with different frame rates into an end composition that has a different frame rate as well. All the nested compositions were rendering as same as the original frame rate that been set for them without getting effected by the end composition. This of course can be done by choosing the option "Preserve Frame Rate When Nested" in the advance settings in composition settings.

Unfortunately even after selecting the above mentioned option, I'm still having issue in the RAM preview as well as the render output. The nested compositions are effected by the end composition frame rate. FYI my PC has 32GB RAM, SSD and Nvidia Card with 3GB. I'm very confident that my system will render and preview any kind of project without any problem! The question is why I'm having this issue? I tried both versions of After Effects (CC & CS6) they had the same issue!!

Anyone can help me in this matter please?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:55:24 pm

May we assume that you have double-checked the frame rates in the nested comps, and that the frame rates are indeed different?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 8:53:50 pm

What specifically are you trying to do?

A 24fps master comp will itself render 24fps; a 60fps comp nested within it will still be subject to the constraints of that final 24fps comp upon output.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ali JassimRe: Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 6:20:23 am

What specifically are you trying to do?

A 24fps master comp will itself render 24fps; a 60fps comp nested within it will still be subject to the constraints of that final 24fps comp upon output.

I know that already, but you can prevent that by selecting the option "Preserve frame rate when nested". It means that if you nest 60fps comp into 24fps comp, its layer will stay at 60fps, where any other layers in the final 24fps will run at 24fps. I saw that many times, I've attached a video link on YouTube to see by yourself.

He is Indian and I don't understand what he is saying, but what he did is very clear and understandable. He nested three comp (60fps, 25fps and 8fps) into 25fps comp. All nested comps were running at the same frame rates been sett for them in their original comps. They didn't get effect by the final 25fps comp.

I hope now it's clear for you.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 10:05:23 am

[Ali Jassim] "you can prevent that by selecting the option "Preserve frame rate when nested". It means that if you nest 60fps comp into 24fps comp, its layer will stay at 60fps, where any other layers in the final 24fps will run at 24fps. I saw that many times, I've attached a video link on YouTube to see by yourself... He nested three comp (60fps, 25fps and 8fps) into 25fps comp. All nested comps were running at the same frame rates been sett for them in their original comps. They didn't get effect by the final 25fps comp. "

You cannot escape the frame rate of your output comp. It is the rate at which the precomps will be sampled in time. What the "preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue" switch changes is HOW that resampling occurs. When checked, Ae will treat the comp like footage, pulling only "existing" frames from the comp as if it were rendered media, and displaying them at the output frame rate. When unchecked, Ae will re-evaluate the contents of the comp at the time of the containing comp, without being subject to the precomp's frame rate.

In the demo you showed, the 60 fps precomp will show 25 frames in one second with minimal motion blur, but it is skipping 35 other frames every second to get down to 25 fps. The 25 fps precomp will show precisely 25 unique frames in one second with normal motion blur. The 8 fps comp will show 25 frames with lots of motion blur in one second, and it is repeating 17 frames every second to make up the difference between 8 and 25.

Check out this demo, where I expand upon the demo you showed:
10693_preserveframerate.aep.zip

Again, maybe this would be easier to explain in the context of your practical question.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ali JassimRe: Preserving frame rate option in nested compositions has no effect!!
by on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:41:07 am

Thank you Walter for your help.

It's clear to me now, but is there any way that I can add two clips with different frame rates in one comp and preserve the frame rates of both them? I saw many videos (like Vlogs) on YouTube where some people record their vlogs with different cameras those record in different frame rates. The clips of their recordings shift from 30fps to 60fps and vise versa.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2016 at 2:36:33 pm

[Ali Jassim] "The clips of their recordings shift from 30fps to 60fps and vise versa."

In this case, work in a 60 fps comp. You can faithfully display 30 fps content in a 60 fps comp (every frame is simply doubled), but you cannot faithfully display 60 fps in a 30 fps comp (every other frame would be skipped).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]