ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Greetings. Need some advice for a project.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Zamora JrGreetings. Need some advice for a project.
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 5:16:24 am

I'm working on a small project thats trying to re-create the main titles in the movie "Mars Attacks!"

<- original

I already made some good head way in creating the titles using CC Cylinder for the first :39 seconds, however I'm having some trouble trying to get the title affect from :40 seconds onward, I know I need to use a 3D text and gradient mask however i just can seem to get them to work together. Any advise or even video explanation on how to achieve this affect would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Greetings. Need some advice for a project.
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:48:36 am

You can use text on a 3D layer. To achieve the 3d text look you can just duplicate the layer once you animate the move in 3d space, change the color to black or dark grey and offset by a few units on the layers z axis. To get thicker text, use 2 or more duplicate layers.
Once you animate all titles, bring that composition into the main comp over your background footage and set a mask with a feathered edge on the x axis over the layer, to have the text fade away as it moves towards the left edge of the frame.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved