ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto ÁlvarezBanding
by on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:46:23 pm

Hi. I'd like to know if someone could help me with this problem: the thing called "banding". I've been searching on Google and it seems this is the name, when the color don't go softly from one tone to another, making visible bands of different tones instead of a natural gradient (sorry for my bad english). Even it produces a 'pixelization' of the zone. This begins to happen to me after applying some effects as Tone/Saturation and Curves Correction to transform, for example, a clip filmed by day so it looks like filmed by night. I hope you can see it in the pictures I add. The only "solution" I've read about is adding noise, so you can dissimulate in some way the problem (impoverishing the quality). Another thing I've tried it was to change from 8 bpc to 16 bpc, and there were no significant advance. Sometimes it seems the problem increases when I export the clip and then it depends on the device where to play the film. Thank you very much.

My computer is a Lenovo laptop:
Intel Core i7 5500U 2,40 GHz
64 bits processor x64
AMD Radeon R5 M330
(2GB dedicated)

My software:
Windows 8.1
Adobe Premiere CC 2014
Adobe After Effects CC 2014
VLC Player (it gives me more quality than other players I used)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Banding
by on Oct 15, 2016 at 5:12:36 am

I'm sorry, I can't see your pictures

If you shot day-for-night footage, your color and brightness changes may be too much. I have had success shooting "dusk for night" , about a half-hour before the sun goes down. The shadows are right, the colors are right and it is easier to make brightness changes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved