ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble keying around hair

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RoseTrouble keying around hair
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:23:00 pm

I've had no luck getting a good key around a subject with stringy hair. Admittedly, our lighting and setup wasn't as good as it could have been, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips? I've tried different keying approaches in Final Cut and AE with no luck. I'm not particularly experienced with either program, so I very well could be missing some tactics.

I've uploaded a portion of the original video file for review.

Return to posts index

Bruce GaberRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:59:00 pm

I'm just getting up to speed on keying myself, but I can offer a couple of very basic suggestions. Within AE are you using the KeyLight effect? It is considered by many to be one of the very best and most versatile keyers. That being said, it is a tool with something of a learning curve. There are a number of good tutorial out there. I'm working thru the one on Lynda.com at the moment. If you go to https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/support/user-guides/ you'll find a user guide to KeyLight for AE. They also have links to tutorials.

Good luck!

Bruce

Photographer / Motion Graphics Artist
Vision Rising

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason

Return to posts index

Michael RoseRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:01:54 pm

Hi Bruce. Yes, I've tried using Keylight, and it is a very good tool. However, I just can't seem to get the key right around her hair. If you notice in the video I shared, there are some frizzy strands that are causing the trouble. We should have been more cognizant of that (and the lighting) up front, but unfortunately, we didn't pay it enough attention.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:39:03 pm

I'm on my iphone so can't watch the video but this sounds like you need to combine keyed mattes to get optimal results with edge detail. There are several ways to do it and I would recommend learning the workflow here: https://www.lynda.com/After-Effects-tutorials/After-Effects-Compositing-04-... you can get 7 days for free pn Lynda, I subscribed years ago.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 11:26:00 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 13, 2016 at 11:34:14 pm

You ought to be able to key that. The green's a little on the dark side, which Keylight likes. There are some Keylight video tutorials here on the COW you can watch. While it's a good keyer, Keylight isn't the most intiutive thing in the world to use. It often helps to make a mask around the subject to eliminate parts of the background if the lighting on it isn't flat, consistent and shadow-free.

I hear that Premiere Pro's Ultra key is good, too. Never used it, however.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 14, 2016 at 12:23:52 am

I had some time to test your footage. if this is the quality of your footage (4:2:0 is bad for keying unless shot in optimal circumstances ) and you can't get any better (at least 4:2:2 or maybe less compressed if you compressed it further prior to uploading it), my suggestion would be to use rotobrush + refine edge tool for the hair/head, and keylight for the rest. the compression is too harsh it just eats up the fine hair detail.

with rotobrush and refine edge tool you can get good edges. it will require patience and perseverance in a proper rotobrush workflow but this is how I would do it unless you can compromise the hair with some softness or feather.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Karl RickerRe: Trouble keying around hair
by on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:16:43 pm

You could also use the footage as a luma matte for itself. Place it on a layer above itself. Set the layer below it to use it as a luma matte. Then use effects to make the top layer black and white, invert it and then use level controls to adjust it as needed.

-Karl Ricker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]