ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Key Light and Multi Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Service
Key Light and Multi Layers
on Oct 12, 2016 at 10:07:28 pm

Hello Everyone!

So I have a decently tough key-- lots of shadows under a table. So Ideally I would like to have one layer control half of the image and then another layer control the other half. The idea is to make one complete luma matte out of the two layers. But whenever I have a layer with Key light on it, and i use a mask, it gives me back this 1 pixel line through image. Also, if the mask is not square it squares off the edges.

Needless to say this does not work as it should and I am wondering if anyone knows of some workarounds.

Return to posts index

Jordan Service
Re: Key Light and Multi Layers
on Oct 12, 2016 at 10:09:00 pm

FYI I am able to get the line to disappear by placing it in a pre-comp-- but's that annoying because now I can't control and monitor at the same time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 12, 2016 at 10:13:19 pm

What happens if you overlap the masks a little bit?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:48:50 pm

Perhaps you are seeing the layer's handles? Press Ctrl+Shift+H on a PC or Cmd+Shift+H on a Mac to toggle their visibility.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:12:08 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:44:40 am

[Jordan Service] " But whenever I have a layer with Key light on it, and i use a mask, it gives me back this 1 pixel line through image."

whenever you have 2 mask's edges from two layers that are supposed to to line up perfectly and you see the seam - you can use the Alpha Add mode on the upper layer and make it go away. this is because the mask edge is anti aliased and has 50% opacity. 50+50 in opacity is not 100 but 75... the meyers explain it better then me: http://www.provideocoalition.com/after-effects-hidden-gems-weekly-alpha-add...

[Jordan Service] "Also, if the mask is not square it squares off the edges. "

you are probably trying to use the screen matte or combined matte mode while using the mask to create your luma matte. this effect does not allow you to do that but what you can do is set the effect to intermediate matte or result and add a fill effect set to white (to make the alpha white) and if you don't want it to be on transparent background use a solid composite effect set to black (to have a black background)

Before:

After:

BTW I usually don't bother with luma mattes with keying and just use the alpha matte. if I want to see how the luma looks I just use the ALT+4 shortcut to view just the Alpha channel in my composition. I would recommend this advanced keying course by mark christiansen especially when dealing with dividing a matte when keying: https://www.lynda.com/After-Effects-tutorials/After-Effects-Compositing-04-...

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]