ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trapcode particular smoke hitting object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre LenfesteyTrapcode particular smoke hitting object
by on Oct 12, 2016 at 5:55:17 pm

Hi all

I've looked around CC and the web pretty extensively for a while now, but I'm really finding it hard to find a tutorial to suit my need.

I need to create smoke that rises, hits a "ceiling" and then crawls along the underside of the "ceiling" until it reaches the edge. It then has to rise up when it reaches the edge. Think of it like a fire in a building, watching the smoke crawling along the ceiling until it meets an open window on a windless day. The smoke would crawl out of the window and then begin to rise kind of "wrapping" around the edge of the window. Another way to visualise it would be smoke coming out of a car engine with the bonnet raised slightly - the smoke crawls along the underside of the bonnet and then starts rising from the sides and front of the bonnet.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Sander BroosRe: Trapcode particular smoke hitting object
by on Oct 12, 2016 at 6:23:59 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

I made it very quickly, also I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for.

Return to posts index

Pierre LenfesteyRe: Trapcode particular smoke hitting object
by on Oct 12, 2016 at 6:44:35 pm

No. It's EXACTLY what i was looking for ?. Thank you.

I'm taking it that, once I've added cloudlets turbulence etc the smoke can twirl and dissipate as per normal rising smoke effects.

If you can let me know how that works, I'd be made up.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:18:11 pm

Oh! Happy to help.
Make a 3D blue solid and set the X Rotation to 90 degrees. Then put the particular emitter below this layer, and go into the Physics tab of the Particular effect and set the gravity to a negative value, and change the Physics Model from Air to Bounce. Go into the Bounce tab. Now set the Floor Layer to the 3D solid, and the Floor Mode to Layer Size. Make the Collision Event Slide instead of Bounce, and the particles should do what you want them to do. Last thing is, you need to go to the Visibility tab and set the Obscuration Layer to the 3D solid and put the Particle layer above the 3D solid. Now you can customize the particles!
Hope that helps! ?

Return to posts index

Pierre LenfesteyRe: Trapcode particular smoke hitting object
by on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:32:11 pm

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to sort this out.

Have some good karma :)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 12, 2016 at 6:46:49 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

EDIT - I'm sorry, I didn't read it properly, it is indeed very tricky to animate smoke "around" the window... I can't help you yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]