ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Content aware remove with after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
Content aware remove with after effects
on Oct 11, 2016 at 6:20:36 am

Hi.

I have a video footage which has text on top of it. Do you people know how could I remove it, like you could remove it with photoshop content aware? I tried to open the video with photoshop and remove it frame by frame, but it creates flickering and didn't work so well.

Thanks for any help.

Mikko

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Content aware remove with after effects
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:35:45 am

Do you have an example clip of the video you're working on?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:43:36 am

Content aware on video - wouldn't that be something ?

If you want to remove/add element on video, it is more complicated because you have the time factor and images usually change over time. Your image could be moving so you need to match the movement and choose from different match moving techniques. There could be brightness or color changes (though it could seem there isn't) and you need to match it too.

If this is all news to you, you may need to read/watch about compositing and object replacement in after effects.

You can also upload your footage or a part of it and we could give you an efficient course of action to help you. If it's under 50mb, you can drag it here. If it's more you can upload to any cloud service or even sharing platform like YouTube or vimeo.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:56:50 am

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately I can't upload the footage because of the client NDA. The footage is shot on a tripod and is not moving. There is a guy behind drinking coffee and a text on lower third of the image. The text is not moving and it's white. It's quite short shot. There is no way to get the original footage because it's made by another company. It's from YouTube and the client of ours has rights to use it ... well never mind where it's coming from, but the thing is to get rid of the text so we can fit it in another size format. If it's not possible, I might find another solution.. maybe blur it or put a black bar on top of it.

Thanks!

Mikko

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 9:19:10 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:28:10 pm

[Mikko Kovasiipi] "he footage is shot on a tripod and is not moving. There is a guy behind drinking coffee and a text on lower third of the image. The text is not moving and it's white."

Ah ha. so the text is a graphic element, and not part of the video. it was placed on the footage in post and now you want to remove it.

if there is movement behind the text, you are in a mess. it's like a watermark and the reason watermarks are so effective is that unless it's on a static background, or one that doesn't change much - you can't remove it unless carefully replacing everything that's under there with the same exact movement which could range from really easy (just a shirt moving) or insane (people dancing with lights everywhere)

without seeing your footage and what exactly goes on there, you are probably left with 2 options:

1. blur the text (this is the common approach in news feeds for example)

2. crop the footage

one more thing: probably the only time frame by frame patching will work for you is when the footage moves so fast from frame to frame, or the frame rate is super slow (stop motion for example). the problem with frame by frame fixing is that there are inconsistencies in movement, color and brightness, mask edges and so forth. you can never get right if you work frame by frame (unless super fast or stop motion). you should work with keyframes, tracking, and so on.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:11:27 pm

I'll guess you don't have access to the original footage, with no text applied. There's no easy way to remove it from the clip.

Actually, there's no difficult way to remove it, either -- there's just an extremely difficult way, involving re-creating the video behind the text, which is done frame-by-frame in Photoshop. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

But you can always put new text on an opaque background over the old text. If the client doesn't like the idea for aesthetic reasons, you can inform the client that you're looking at several days of painstaking work to remove it entirely and must charge accordingly. The client can then judge is the aesthetics are worth it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]