ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why is there a column of transparent pixels on my RGB + Alpha clips exported from AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier BonetWhy is there a column of transparent pixels on my RGB + Alpha clips exported from AE?
by on Oct 7, 2016 at 2:39:35 pm

I’ve encountered this issue and it seems to be an AE issue, although it involves both AE and PPro.

Basically, I’ve designed an intro and outro in AE, using Matte layers in order to reveal and cover the footage that will be later on added “under” the intro/outro in each video to be edited in PPro. I’ve exported the intro/outro as RGB+Alpha. Everything OK up to this point. And I’ve done this for several other projects but have never encountered the issue I’m about to describe.

As you can see in this screenshot (you will probably have to click on it to make it larger in order to see the issue):

As well as in this sample clip: 10660_issuesample.mp4.zip, there’s constantly a transparent column of pixels (1px thick, I’m guessing) to the right of the screen, which shows the video “under” the intro/outro.

I noticed this as I was editing. I checked everything: that the comp was the same size as the clips to which I’m referring (I’m working everything in 1080p), frame rates, etc., etc., even checked if for some bizarre reason I had accidentally resized the clip (although I don’t know how you can accidentally do that). You name it: I checked everything!
So then I went back to AE to see if the issue was coming from there and the short answer is no: all background “spill out” of the screen, so there’s no possibility a mask or matte layer leaves a pixel column uncovered. In short, the issue isn't present in AE.
However, I think it’s already there on the exported clip. I’m not 100% sure but I think I can already see that column of transparent pixels there. I’ve exported this as I always export my clips that use alpha, so I don’t know how this is now happening.

Anyway, having already searched extensively online and found nothing specific to this issue, and due to the fact that I have to turn in the final product TODAY, I come to you guys to see if anyone has had this happen before.
I include the essence of what I’m using: the AE project with the basic matte background and a PPro project with the resulting clip imported, where you can clearly see the issue. Unfortunately, any clip with alpha is extremely big and, in order to keep everything as it is when I'm exporting, I can't compress or export the AE clip differently... so the result weighs around 500MB and therefore can't be uploaded here. If anyone wants to check this out and is willing to spend a couple of minutes on it, just duplicate the previous export from the AE project to the same folder where you put the PPro project (and keep the output name as "Outro - FINAL" and it should work.

• 10661_trial7oct16.aep.zip

• 10663_trial7oct16.prproj.zip

• If anyone can at least hint as to why this may be happening, I would greatly appreciate it! As I’m against the ropes and have almost no time left to work on this.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Why is there a column of transparent pixels on my RGB + Alpha clips exported from AE?
    by on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:05:14 pm

I examined your Ae project. it seems your jpg layer is not exactly fit to screen

it is at 77.5% scale

if I use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H to fit to comp width it is now 76.8% which is exactly how it should be to cover all the screen. make sure you are at the keyframe mark because it will create a position keyframe (it also centers the comp). or you could just manually set the layer to 76.8% scale

Roei Tzoref
    After Effects Artist & Instructor
    ♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: Why is there a column of transparent pixels on my RGB + Alpha clips exported from AE?
    by on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:39:23 pm

Hello, Roei!
    A million thanks for your answer! I guess this falls under that category of VERY dumb mistakes one makes when one is overworked and very tired! I can't believe I missed it... Now that you've pointed it out it seems to me to be the first thing I should've checked! I guess I didn't check too thoroughly.
    Anyway, I'm glad I uploaded the question and extremely glad you were so kind as to take the time to check out the matter, because this fix comes just under deadline and I'll be able to be on time.
    So thanks again for your kind help!
    Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Why is there a column of transparent pixels on my RGB + Alpha clips exported from AE?
    by on Oct 7, 2016 at 4:28:39 pm

Glad to help Xavier ?

Roei Tzoref
    After Effects Artist & Instructor
    ♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]