ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can you ease a text-generating expression...with an expression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Willox
Can you ease a text-generating expression...with an expression?
on Oct 6, 2016 at 5:50:10 pm
Last Edited By Jordan Willox on Oct 7, 2016 at 6:28:28 pm

Hey everyone... bear with me here...

I am a building a Live Text template, so I would like to end up with a slice of text (which would animate on in a pretty way) that I can just quickly swap text in and out of in Premiere.

I would like it to animate from the center and stay center justified. I also have an expression that uses the SourceRecAtTime function to animate a shape layer along with the text as it animates on.

However, as near as I can tell, animating on by scale/character uses the anchor point OF THE FINAL LAYOUT, and not what is one screen at any given time.

Now, I was able to automate the characters typing on AND keep the text center justified with the following expression:

charPerSec = N;
idx = Math.floor(time*charPerSec);
value.substr(0,idx)
(thank you for your 2011 post about this Dan)

.... but that doesn't look quite right. It's much too abrupt. I can get it to ease from the beginning by linking a slider to the "charPerSec" function, but it still hard stops at the end.

Is there any way to automate some easing of this, regardless of what and how much gets typed in?

Thanks in advance for your help, any and everyone!

Jordan Lee Willox

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -- Ogden Nash.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Can you ease a text-generating expression...with an expression?
on Oct 7, 2016 at 9:46:01 pm

maybe you will have better luck in the expressions forum: https://forums.creativecow.net/adobe_after_effects_expressions

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jordan Willox
on Oct 8, 2016 at 2:08:05 pm

*sigh*

thanks man. I was trying to make sure I didn't sound like a newb... yet here we are. Haha

Jordan Lee Willox
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -- Ogden Nash.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 8, 2016 at 2:24:12 pm

Sure, Buddy. See that you read all about live text templates Ae/Pr workflow. I have not used it but as I remember, Premiere has the ability through dynamic linking to change a live text that sits and animates in Ae. So if you have easing keyframes say for typewriter preset from 0 to 100% it seems this should translate to premiere no expressions needed. But if you know all about it and still need more control through expressions do try the expressions forum.

BTW live text integration is going to get better in the upcoming release, watch the promo at Adobe's website. Goodluck.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]