ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixelated Wipe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray OliverPixelated Wipe
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 7:25:29 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to make a Pixel Wipe transition. I tried using the block dissolve with a gradient layer but the result is not what I want. I really like what I managed to do with the card wipe but I don't want the blocks to flip (cause it breaks the "pixel look"). It seems to work if I do it fast enough on a small shape cause the flip is so fast that it just does not flip (it flips in 1 frame) but I'd like to do it on the entire screen and I can't find a way to stop the flips of simply speed it so fast it's not visible.

Could someone help me? Any bit of advice?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Pixelated Wipe
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 10:21:13 pm

not sure exactly how you are wiping/disolivng (directional, like left or right, or something different altogether), but you might be able to use a gradient/ramp and mosaic to create a gradient to use with gradient wipe... (remember to pre-comp the gradient and move all attributes before you can use it with the gradient wipe effect).

done right, you can get the blocks to dissolve away (rather than flip) in the order that you want.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pixelated Wipe
by on Oct 6, 2016 at 2:25:00 pm

This would take a couple-three nested comps to pull off, but it ought to work:

In the first comp, use the Ramp effect to make at gradient from one corner of a solid to another. Nest it.
In the second comp, animate the Threshold effect to get a diagonal wipe of white. Nest it.
In the third comp, apply the Mosaic effect. Now you have squares turning white in a diagonal motion.

As I think about it, you might need another nested comp with another animated instance of Threshold to animate a diagonal black.

Well, that's the principle I'm favoring at the moment. Discuss.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeWait a Minute, I'm Over-Thinking This.
by on Oct 6, 2016 at 2:38:01 pm

Duh. This is way simpler:
Make a comp. Make a black solid. Make a white solid. Animate a mask diagonally on one of the solids. Add a slight feather if you want. Nest the comp.
In the second comp, apply Mosaic.
Now use this comp as a Luma Matte.

Lots simpler.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ray OliverRe: Pixelated Wipe
by on Oct 7, 2016 at 2:39:52 am

Thanks for all you asnwers but it's not quite what I'm looking for...
I've managed to make something that's pretty much what I want but you can still see the flipping if you look carefully.

10658_pixelatedwipe.aep.zip

In this example, I made the wipe come from both left and right

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Pixelated Wipe
by on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:43:18 pm

this is pretty similar to your wipe but using gradient wipe.

10664_10658pixelatedwipecc12.aep.zip

to change the pixelation, change settings in the gradient map comp. for example, to make the wipe go from left-right, hide or remove the colorama effect. changing the ramp start and end points will further change the direction. modifying the fractal noise effect will change the pixelation pattern (you can actually animate the evolution property for some interesting effects). and changing mosaic will effect the size of the pixels.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]