ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Precomp Time Remapping Problem for Mouth Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy HorowitzPrecomp Time Remapping Problem for Mouth Animation
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:14:13 pm

Hello. I am using Adobe After Effects CC. I ran into a problem and am unable to recreate what caused it, so I am asking if anyone knows what happened so I don't mess this up again.

I used the mouth animation tutorial I found on Creative Cow to add a 2D animated mouth over my stop motion video. I created a Precomp with the various mouth shapes layered in on top of each other from PS, and assigned them each their own frame within the Precomp (1-15), and proceeded to animate the mouth over my main composition successfully. Frame by frame I went through, using Time Remapping, adding a keyframe for every single frame as I adjusted the position and precomp-frame-value to change the shape of the mouth.

This was working perfectly for the last couple of weeks and I almost finished today (just under 10,000 frames) only to find that out of nowhere the first 5K frames or so all changed the time-remapping value to Zero, so he's just smiling the whole time instead of talking. What's so weird is that the position values remained correct, and the keyframes still exist for each time the mouth shape should have changed, but they have all changed to Zero, so the mouth moves around but the shape doesn't change. Am I making sense?

Anyway I assumed I must have done some "select all" thing by accident and changed all the values (and to my dismay saved over it without knowing they changed), but for the life of me I can't recreate doing this and I'm afraid I'll mess it up again. I did try "select all previous frames" but that didn't work when I tried to recreate the problem. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Precomp Time Remapping Problem for Mouth Animation
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 7:51:09 pm

Clicking on the name of the property in the timeline panel would select all the keyframes, and with that selection active, entering 0 would zero them all out without any real visual indicator in the UI of the havoc.

I highly recommend using Save and Increment with great frequency instead of just Save. More tips here:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andy HorowitzRe: Precomp Time Remapping Problem for Mouth Animation
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:28:26 pm

Thank you sir! That must have been it-- was able to recreate it. Wow, well I am glad I know now, and I'm definitely going to start using Save and Increment. I got a lot better at the whole thing as I went along anyway so the project will be better in the end for having to redo the first half. Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved