ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I achieve this text-light effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Kruul
How can I achieve this text-light effect?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:00:23 pm

I'm looking to create an effect where a light blur brings on text. The effect I'm specifically referencing can be seen throughout this old WoW video:

(specifically the write-on portion around 3:02)

Could anyone explain how to achieve this effect or point me towards a good tutorial for it?

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How can I achieve this text-light effect?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:29:38 pm

That's a combination of Trapcode Shine and an animated mask on the text.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:44:36 pm

Thanks, Dave - I'll look into those!

I have another quick question in regards to this. In trying to get the 3d rotation per character for the write-on effect, I'm having a hard time having each character rotate on the screen in a 90° angle - the anchor point is turning the entire line of text 90°, not each character

Is there a way to change this?

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 5, 2016 at 8:09:45 pm

I assume you mean the "Typewriter" animation preset and not the "Write-On" effect, which is totally different.

And bad news -- the Typewriter preset isn't 3D -- it's 2D.

Besides, for that text effect you were pointing out, you don't need a test animation preset. You have to animate masks on a text layer duplicated once.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Frenkel
on Oct 5, 2016 at 8:41:51 pm

Maybe this tutorial can help you. Might be too complex for what you are trying to do though:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_3d_light_rays/

[Martin Kruul] "I have another quick question in regards to this. In trying to get the 3d rotation per character for the write-on effect, I'm having a hard time having each character rotate on the screen in a 90° angle - the anchor point is turning the entire line of text 90°, not each character"

Are you working with the text animator and try to combine that with the write-on effect?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]