ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about Quicktime or replacement.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hairston
Question about Quicktime or replacement.
on Oct 5, 2016 at 1:01:26 am

Hi guys, I had to step away from After Effects for a couple of years but now I'm about to get back into it. I'm using CS5.5 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. My concern is that in my experience when I was using AE daily Quicktime was an invaluable and integral part of my AE work because of the ability to save Quicktime movies with an alpha channel. I could take the most complicated effects intensive precomps and render them out as a Quicktime movie with an alpha channel and then replace the precomps with the Quicktime movie back into the project whenever and wherever possible.

I'm finding it hard to imagine using AE effectively without this valuable tool. With even the government recommending Windows users getting rid of Quicktime I'm wondering what you guys are using to replace Quicktime to save video files with an alpha channel or if you are just ignoring the recommendation and using Quicktime anyway because it's just too valuable to your workflows?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or just letting me know that you're still using Quicktime or if there's a trick to using it in some way. I also like using Itunes for the organization it brings to music and sound effect files. What are your thoughts on Itunes as well?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Question about Quicktime or replacement.
on Oct 5, 2016 at 4:47:37 am

I use quicktime on windows 7 but installed just the essential components. The assumption is that only the player can cause safety issues. Other than that, the latest version of 13.8.1 supports native QT Animation and Png codec importing and exporting without installing Quicktime.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rick Hairston
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:10:53 pm

Thanks Roei, I've installed quicktime 7 with just the essentials and qt movies seem to play just fine inside of AE and Premiere so that answers my main concerns. My next question is how do you view qt movies on your system without having to put them into AE or Premiere? Another problem is that with just the essentials qt movie files don't have thumbnails. It's a major pain not having thumbnails to be able to see what a file is if the name is not descriptive enough. Is there a way to have thumbnails for the qt video files and to be able to play them on your system outside of AE and Premiere with having just the qt essentials? Thanks in advance for any answers anyone may have.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:26:46 pm

I use VLC player which is a very popular free player. When I assosiate the video files to it, I can see Thumbnails.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rick Hairston
on Oct 6, 2016 at 8:40:29 am

Thanks Roei, VLC is playing the QT movies just fine but even though "always show icons never thumbnails" is unchecked in the view tab of folder options I'm getting thumbnails on some .mov files and the cone icon on others seemingly with no rhyme or reason as to why. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 6, 2016 at 9:55:41 am

To see thumbnails I am not sure how to fix this. This is more of an Os/video player issue. Googled it and found advice online, try to do the same. I use sagethumbs for thumbnails for psd files and others. Not sure this gives me the video thumbnails too. Share what worked for you here, I sure you will
Find it rather quickly.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rick Hairston
on Oct 6, 2016 at 4:24:17 pm

I've already Googled it and tried some of the "fixes" that worked for some people but didn't work for me before I posted. I'll keep trying and will certainly share the fix when I find it back here with everybody.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]