ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cartoon like Parallax Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chaernon Adrian
Cartoon like Parallax Effect?
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:43:17 pm

It starts at 1:20

Basically I`d like to know what went into making that amazing cartoon like world and if the characters have been drew from scratch or if they used a technique in Photoshop to turn pictures into cartoons.

There is also another effect I`m really intrigued by, at 2:11 where the character lifts up his head from the shadow of his hoodie but I CAN definitely see that is a picture turned cartoon character and not an actual 2D made by pieces character. There is also the parallax effect used mostly and some actual 2D animation when it comes to the zombies and the robot right?

I would really appreciate if you could tell me/point me to a video on YouTube on HOW to get that type of cartoon like character and not that weird looking thing everyone is doing on YouTube that you can still tell is a picture instead of hand drawing of a cartoon like I want it and also that effect on the hoodie thing at 2:11.

I`d like to draw myself but in no way I could ever draw me even remotely to what I actually look like.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Cartoon like Parallax Effect?
on Oct 1, 2016 at 11:08:05 am

[Chaernon Adrian] "Basically I`d like to know what went into making that amazing cartoon like world and if the characters have been drew from scratch or if they used a technique in Photoshop to turn pictures into cartoons. "

looks like both. you have your photo as a reference and you draw on top of it. may ways to do this but this is not a filter switch. it's several maybe and also outlining carefully (usually with a Wacom Tablet for precision) I found this thread in Reddit about this clip:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AfterEffects/comments/514igf/request_tutorial_how_...
with a few suggestion where to start your research.

[Chaernon Adrian] "There is also another effect I`m really intrigued by, at 2:11 where the character lifts up his head from the shadow of his hoodie but I CAN definitely see that is a picture turned cartoon character and not an actual 2D made by pieces character. There is also the parallax effect used mostly and some actual 2D animation when it comes to the zombies and the robot right? "

in this specific example you can see there is some distortion and not exact volume of the head. start here and you will see other recommendations for this type of movement

you can also use displacement maps for this:

here's an impressive template:

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]