ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Repeater with textured shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron GoodRepeater with textured shape
by on Sep 30, 2016 at 5:59:03 pm

I'm trying to create a patterned background using a hexagonal shape. I've applied the repeater and managed to get the layout correct, however, I want to add a pattern to the shape and have it repeated as well. Is there a way to do this in AE, or do I have to use illustrator to create a shape with the pattern, bring it in, and then repeat it?

I have a feeling this is really simple but can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Repeater with textured shape
by on Sep 30, 2016 at 6:24:35 pm

[Aaron Good] " I want to add a pattern to the shape and have it repeated as well. Is there a way to do this in AE, or do I have to use illustrator to create a shape with the pattern, bring it in, and then repeat it?
"

if it's vector based, you can create it with shapes. illustrator will have more specific tools, but if you are already in AE and the pattern is not too complicated, just create it within the Shape group and add repeater underneath. if you are having specific problems please provide a screenshot. you can drag and drop it here or copy paste.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Aaron GoodRe: Repeater with textured shape
by on Sep 30, 2016 at 9:39:25 pm

I found a texture online of the hex grid and was hoping I could attach it to the black hex and have it repeated as well. It isn't vector-based.

As a work around, I put created a shape layer for the small grid of hexes and laid it over the large hexes in my pre-comp. Then I used a duplicate of the black hexes as a track matte.The outer hex (blue) and the inner hex (black) are both on repeaters. It works, but if I say want each hex to be identical, then it doesn't.

I can't seem to create a hex grid in the shape of a hexagon and repeat it in this fashion. I'm sure it'd be 10x easier to create in Illustrator (and less processor heavy) but I'm now on a mission to find the best way to do it in AE. Here's the current look:

10642_hexes.tiff.zip

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:22:09 pm

something like this?

BTW speaking of hexagon maybe you should try new CC Hexagon see if you like it. not related to shapes of course.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:39:12 pm

Yes! More or less like that. What did you do for the mini hexes?

I tried out CC HexTile already. It's useful, but not really for this instance. At least not as far as my experiments took me. I'm pretty intermediate in my AE capabilities.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:59:29 pm

[Aaron Good] "Yes! More or less like that. What did you do for the mini hexes?"

created on hexagon shape and alt dragged it. selected some more, alt dragged...
10643_minihexes.aep.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2016 at 4:58:15 pm

Ah, gotcha. I was hoping there was a quicker/easier way to do it than that but sometimes you just need to put in the time. I appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]