ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Textures

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Textures
on Sep 30, 2016 at 5:17:48 pm

Hi,

I will try to create an image that look like an old photograph printer on a textured plate. Can I use a background texture and blend the image on top to create this effect? What textures can I use? Better ways to do it?

Thanks,
Stig

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Textures
on Sep 30, 2016 at 6:04:38 pm

How about making a gray scale texture and using it as a displacement map for the image?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:01:07 pm

Could definitely work. But looking for a layer with variations that could also be used in other software packages like Davinci resolve, Baselight etc without all the compositing possibilities.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Oct 3, 2016 at 8:44:47 am

Is the diplacement map the only way to create what I asked for?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 3, 2016 at 12:40:51 pm

If I understand you correctly, creative use of blending modes [link] will also get you what you want.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Oct 3, 2016 at 12:47:16 pm

Hi Walter,

The blending tools is available in other softwares as well so the final solution could definitely make use of blending modes. I just want to know if it's possible to get to the result that I have described with lets say a "background plate" in combination with blending modes? Any examples?

Best,
Stig

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 3, 2016 at 2:35:15 pm

Can you post a visual example, showing what you're looking to create?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 3, 2016 at 11:38:42 pm

If your goal is to make a still image, you'll have greater success doing the work in Photoshop. Why you want to use After Effects for this isn't very clear.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Oct 4, 2016 at 5:54:14 am

Hi,

A textured video is the goal, not a still image...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 4, 2016 at 9:34:42 pm

That link is an illustrated postcard, not a photo. Maybe try the Cartoon effect, tweaked, and add the texture with a blending mode.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:09:21 am

Hi Walter,

I think I need to repeat my question " Can I use a background texture and blend the image on top to create this effect? What textures can I use?" I also said that the result needs to be possible to create in other software packages like Davinci resolve, Baselight etc.

Any takers?

Best,
Stig

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:37:12 am

Your google search had old photo textures in it. Have you tried blending one over your footage?

[stig olsen] "What textures can I use?"

You can use whatever textures that you have the rights to use. Or are you talking about artistic decisions?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:43:36 am

If the look is transforming a video into an illustration as your reference image showed, no, you cannot do it with just a blending mode. You need something that will do localized palette restrictions and edge outlining. It's non-trivial to make this portable across applications, unless you use a third-party plugin like BCC that exists on all your hosts.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 5, 2016 at 4:01:11 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Oct 5, 2016 at 4:29:15 pm

Here's what I'd do based on your example.

Find a suitable base layer texture - I've used a nice aluminium with enough organic variation but not too much. you may decide to use the colour of your original texture image, or you can colour correct it to taste.

Take the image you want to treat and blend it over the texture using Multiply - add a Blur to this layer and reduce the opacity a bit, down to around 75%.

Add another layer of the image, blend it using Overlay and again add blur and knock back the opacity.

Add another layer of the image, again blend it using Overlay and knock back the opacity but this time don't add a Blur.

To this result (make a compound or nest or do whatever it required to group it all together in your host application), add colour filters to first of all reduce the saturation a lot, then to tint it and remove a lot of the blue, and then to reduce the contrast a lot, adjusting the overall brightness as necessary.

The key thing is how you add the texture, flattening the contrast, reducing the sharpness with the blurs and reducing the saturation. How much or how little of all this you do will depend on the look you are going for and the actual colour composition of the shot(s) you are trying to treat. You can try different blend modes besides Overlay (eg Soft Light or even Screen) and you could try Darken instead of Multiply - it's a question of finding the look you want.

Edit: Try adding an Erode filter to your top Overlay layer - this can help reduce the sharpness of the edge detail and make it look more hand-drawn and less photographic.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]