ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Painting effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed XussainPainting effect
by on Sep 26, 2016 at 9:53:47 pm

Hello people ! NEED URGENT HELP !!!!

I'm very new to After Effects. I wanted to create an effect and I did succeed in doing it but now I forgot how I did it and for the life of me I cannot figure it out anymore.

Basically I have 02 pictures - exactly the same but one is a black and white copy of the other. I want to somehow use layers to keep the coloured picture under the b&w one just erase the b&w picture on top to reveal the coloured picture underneath. The I want to use the brush stroke effect to make an animation to look like the piture is being coloured.

I even exported a video of when I did it. Heres the YouTube link so that you can understand what I want:

Its very simple I'm sure but please someone help me! I really need it and I'm desperate. Bear in mind that I'm a beginner so please explain accordingly :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Painting effect
by on Sep 27, 2016 at 12:50:04 am

• Work with 2D layers. Do NOT make the layers 3D.
  • In your comp, put the black & white picture on the layer above the color picture.
  • Create a black solid, then make a mask path on it. This will be the path for the Stroke effect.
  • Add the Stroke effect. Set it to use the mask path. Make the stroke very wide. Leave the stroke color white.
  • Animate the stroke End Point from 0 to 100%.
  • Precompose the solid. Make sure to move all attributes when you precompose.
  • Go to the B&W layer. Set it to use the precomp as either a Luma Matte or Luma Inverted Matte. I forget which.

You'll probably have to play around with the mask path, the stroke width and the speed at which it animates.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved