ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Convert to bezier path" bug?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredrik Åkerlund
"Convert to bezier path" bug?
on Sep 26, 2016 at 2:25:51 pm
Last Edited By Fredrik Åkerlund on Sep 26, 2016 at 2:44:35 pm

I´ve exprienced something wierd. I did this to recreate the behaviour.

I created polygon shape.
Converted the shape to bezier path.
Set a keyframe at frame 0.
Set another keyframe at frame 50 where I moved one point.

What happens is that the polygon seems to scales to zero, then the final shape pops up. What is supposed to happen is that it´s supposed to animate the two shapes but as you can tell that does not happen. I filmed the screen with my iPhone just to better describe what happens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5qc2xgwhg5qemu/AE%20path%20bug.mov?dl=0

If I cut/copy the keyframes the first position is changed and then it animates smoothly, but it´s kind of backwards: the shape animates from the point, not the point moving away from the shape. If that makes sense.

There is only one layer and no other keyframes. I used CC 2015 when I noticed this and tried to update to the latest version to no avail. Any ideas what´s going on? Here´s a link to a project file if someone want´s to check it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmhc0o3dzfd1odn/Covert%20to%20bezier%20path%20bug...

edit: After some more testing I notice that it´s the first keyframe that is messing it up. If I create a shape, convert to bezier path, sets keyframe, move forward a couple of frames and select all points and set a new keyframe it works as intended. And if I create a shape with the pen tool it also works as intended.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: "Convert to bezier path" bug?
on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:31:53 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:34:40 pm

this is a known issue:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/after-effects-cc-12-2-december-2013-u...

from the article:
IMPORTANT: When you use the Convert To Bezier Path command to convert a parametric shape path to a Bezier shape path, the Bezier path that is created does not animate well (i.e., interpolation between paths behaves strangely and unpredictably). This is related to path direction and how transformations are stored. For now, you should not use these converted paths for animated paths (interpolation between paths); but, if you do want to try, you may be able to work around the issues by reversing the path before conversion.

workaround:
After you convert the rectangle to a bezier path select the pen tool, hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd tool to change from the add point to the direct selection tool, drag the selection over the upper left bezier point, right click and choose Mask and Shape Path > Set First Vertex.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Fredrik Åkerlund
on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:52:17 pm

Thank you! That seems to do the trick. :)

But on a side note: This is a known issue from december 2013! This is something that should´ve been adressed a long time ago. It should have been fixed in 2014 and not linger around in 2016. The more I learn about After effects, the more I get the feeling that every new feature is like adding a new card to a card house...

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:57:15 pm

I agree. Race you to the bug report page? :)
http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Fredrik Åkerlund
on Sep 26, 2016 at 8:26:36 pm

Haha sounds good to me! :D

Return to posts index

Ferenc van der Velde