ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Remove finger from a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel Alonso
Remove finger from a video
on Sep 24, 2016 at 11:51:53 am

Hi there!
I have a problem with a video, there is a finger covering the top corner of the video, anybody knows a plugin oe how could i fix it? Actually I have been trying to fix it using clone stamp and editing every single photogram, but it doesn't looks good.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Remove finger from a video
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:39:13 pm

You'll need a clean plate of the sky (still image) without the finger. Motion track the sky to the skyline. Create a mask for the sky from one of the footage channels, some curves and (animated) masks. Use resulting mask as track matte for the sky.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 24, 2016 at 9:15:21 pm

Can we see the actual footage? It will help us to help you

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 25, 2016 at 11:38:15 pm

You know what I would do? I would re-shoot the video. Problem solved.

Also, a lesson learned -- KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE LENS! IF YOU'RE GOING TO CALL YOURSELF A PHOTOGRAPER, ACT LIKE ONE!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Manuel Alonso
on Sep 26, 2016 at 10:58:26 am

I can't reshoot the video because I'm 19000km away from there. And I'm not a profesional photographer, is one of my hobbies I like the video and i'm just asking for help is not necessary to be rude tho.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:02:33 am

Alonzo don't mind grumpy Dave :) accidents happen, and we can try to make with what we have. can we see what we have? show a few seconds or more of this footage and we can see if there's some fix we can offer you. probably cropping the footage would be the best you can do because I imagine it's shaky.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Manuel Alonso
on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:06:11 am

Yes sure, sorry for the delay I was uploading it, Thank you
10619_img6978.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 26, 2016 at 12:21:43 pm

o.k I have seen the footage. I am guessing this is a footage you don't want to spend hours in compositing to try to fix it (pretty complex), but just show edit this to show friends and family right? I can see the finger is only a small part of the footage so you could just edit it out and use dissolve between the cuts. it will be just fine. if you want it in one take you can crop the footage.

BTW you can drag and drop files in the text field did you know that? :)
10620_10619img6978.mov.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Manuel Alonso
on Sep 26, 2016 at 1:11:25 pm

And there is any other solution?, bcuz I already tried that but doesn't look so good

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 26, 2016 at 1:35:39 pm

it's complex. it's burned on a moving image and there is also camera movement. in order to remove it you would have to create a clean background and attach it to the existing seamlessly. it involves tracking, rotoscoping and other compositing techniques. this will take an experienced Ae Artist a few hours or more.

try to challenge the people in Mocha to see if they have an idea using the Remove Module. you can try the forums there. https://www.imagineersystems.com/support/forums using the mocha remove module:

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Manuel Alonso
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:01:28 pm

Thanks you so much! Really kind

Return to posts index

Fredrik Åkerlund
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:18:22 pm

I´m guessing this is shot with some sort of phone camera (fingers in front of the lens tend to be evidence of that :)) and in my humble experience tracking that kind of compressed footage tend to be hard. Others with more tracking experience have to chime in to verify but I´ve had a lot of trouble when testing stuff out with iPhone footage.

Have you though about the more simple solutions. Like, do you really need the whole shot? Can you cut it up with something else? Have you tried to do a artistic digital zoom to cover ut the parts when the finger pops up? I wouldn´t suggest it if a client was involved but since it´s just for your own pleasure it might work. :)

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:12:41 am

Duplicate the layer, put a mask around the area you need to clean up and use the pan behind tool and slide the image left to get a clean sky patch where the finger is.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:13:45 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:25:48 am

Do you consider After Effects to be a professional application or an amateur or consumer application, Rollei? If you say "both", I will learn some very revealing things about you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]