ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't smooth a motion path!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Roberts
Can't smooth a motion path!
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:12:36 pm

This is driving me crazy! I want streaks of light to fly around in oval patterns. I'm using Particular attached to a null object.

If I key frame the path, it somehow goes from a smooth path to a jagged path (see attached).

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Can't smooth a motion path!
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:54:15 pm

Have you by any chance pasted a mask path to your nulls position to create the path? if so, it could be that you need to stretch the keyframes some more

please show us a screenshots of your Ae interface with the path selected and keyframes visible.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:57:03 pm

Thanks for the reply! ... yes, I've tried that as well. I think you're right and the keyframes are too close together. The only solution I have so far is to make it very slow, and then bring that comp into another comp and speed it up using Time Stretch.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 23, 2016 at 7:04:18 pm

[Stephen Roberts] "The only solution I have so far is to make it very slow, and then bring that comp into another comp and speed it up using Time Stretch."

yep that could do it. the problem is you got more keyframes than frames, so Ae has to cut down some so you get jagged motion path. you can try to smooth the path with the smoother - this will remove some while trying to maintain the overall movement.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Sep 23, 2016 at 7:07:03 pm

Thanks! ... that makes sense. More key frames than frames. OK... i'll keep it slow and speed it up.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:28:17 am

Particular has a setting to subsample the time to smooth out the position. This looks like the default linear option. Pick one of the other options that makes it smoother. Particular Effect Controls>Emitter>Position Subframe>

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Sep 24, 2016 at 2:45:54 pm

Andrew Kramer's solution (around the 18 minute mark) was to increase the frame rate of your comp and then export and re-import your particle layer. Obviously not ideal in a lot of scenarios, but it may work for what you are doing.

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Sep 24, 2016 at 2:57:18 pm

thanks guys! ... I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]