ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Default auto leading

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda RussellDefault auto leading
by on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:42:12 am

A friend of mine has a customer that wants the line spacing for every paragraph to be 75% of the point size of the font size. I watched him duplicate the text layer and then reduce it by 75% so he could manually set the leading to hit that mark.

I know the Auto setting puts leading at a percentage of the font value (120% right?). Is there a way to alter the Auto value so it holds a different ratio, regardless of the font size selected? I know you can do it in InDesign, but not seeing a similar feature in AE. Or could it be done with a script or expression? I'd love to be able to make his life easier (and my future self when I have a customer with very specific branding requirements).

Thanks for any help you can give!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Default auto leading
by on Oct 8, 2016 at 6:16:17 am

in Photoshop (and I assume InDesign) you have justification option in the paragraph panel

in After effects you don't have this menu. you only have a value parameter or the default "auto" (which is also 120%). you can type the leading numerically or select from predefined values. it will remember these settings of any text you create afterwards.

if that's not flexible enough you could create the text with the justification parameters you desire in Photoshop, import it to After effects and then convert the text to editable text by right clicking on the layer -> convert to editable text. now you will have an editable text layer with auto leading set to whatever percent you have chosen in Ps.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved