ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is motion v2 cheating for a noob

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alonzo GutierrezIs motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:49:58 am

Hello,

So I am new to motion graphics. I have a degree in graphic design, but only got taught small animation using flash. Which was fun. Now I'm getting into after effects (should have long ago) and I'm having even more fun.
I'm watching tutorials, coming here to read posts, thanks by the way for the help, and reading books.

I feel like I'm coming along pretty well, and knowing other apps like illustrator, Photoshop, and premiere help out a lot.

My question is this:

Is buying and using motion v2 considered cheating? Am I cheating myself out of learning valuable skills in after effects? Like maybe some techniques I should know how to do the long or hard way, before using a plug in? Or do I not fully understand what motion v2 is?

I don't want to cheat myself out of learning these things because I feel like I need the solid foundation on how and why it needs to be a certain way, before going on. And I feel if that plug in lets me instantly create a burst effect, I would get to comfortable and not even care to learn how to actually do it.

Or am I cheating myself here, by not using motion v2, and just making things simpler and easier on myself?

Any thoughts or advice on this subject would really help ease my mind. Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:58:08 am

[Alonzo Gutierrez] "Is buying and using motion v2 considered cheating?"

No. If it helps you do what you want/need to do faster and easier then go for it. However you might be doing work on a computer that doesn't have that particular plug in or you'll need to manually fix something so you should learn the basic tools.

Return to posts index

Alonzo GutierrezRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:01:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to learn it first. It's enticing to want to just get it to make my work faster. But I'm not sure it will speed up my learning. Only make me rely on it too much. And like you said, if working from another computer without it, I would be lost. Thanks again.

I just wondered if getting it, and using it, before learning to do it the hard way, would make it seem like I work with a crutch.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:49:42 pm

I'd say it depends on the people with whom you'll collaborate. If a lot of them have Motion, use it. If they expect you to work in After effects, use it. If they don't care, the field is open.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:17:32 pm

[Alonzo Gutierrez] "I just wondered if getting it, and using it, before learning to do it the hard way, would make it seem like I work with a crutch.
"

I Would definitely learn the tools first. know how to do it yourself with no scripts and not plugins. only then if you are in need to speed up your process you should use it. here's a very 2 good posts by Nick Campbell aka greyscalegorilla about this exact subject matter:
http://greyscalegorilla.com/2009/09/the-death-of-the-keyframe/
he gives this as an example of pure talent in manipulating keyframes old school
http://greyscalegorilla.com/2009/06/ae-simple-shapes-1000-keyframes-crazy-e...

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:36:43 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies. Glad this community is very helpful. And that 'greyscale gorilla' link touched the point I was making. That a lot of people tend to rely on the plug ins and expressions and scripts now that they are readily available, opposed to doing the work the long way. For a seasoned designer I see the need, want, and ease of using these. To speed up workflow and to make some things that you know how to do, but may be tedious, a lot easier and faster.

For someone like me, who is still learning, I think I might get caught up in the mix of relying too heavily on it. But then again, I might be able to learn something from this motion v2 plug in. Applying it and seeing what it did by exact values, to maybe help me learn. I think I'll wait though, and see how far I can get without that help, and stick to the traditional video and written tutorials, forums, and trial and error.

Thank you all who replied.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:29:38 pm

I'm confused about what product you are talking about. If you're talking about Apple Motion, version 2 is ancient; the current version is 5. If you're talking about something else -- MisterHorse Animation Composer 2, maybe? Motion Monkey? -- please identify the product specifically so we can have a more informed discussion.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:45:13 pm

I'd guess it's this http://www.mtmograph.com/motion/

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:09:50 pm

I'm sorry. It's motion v2 from mt. Mograph. I believe it's just a plug in. And it has a lot of effects that you can use to help with the workflow. I honestly don't know much about it.
What I do know is that it has some effects that I have been trying to replicate, that I've seen in other motion designs, for learning purposes.

I asked because I feel like if I got it now, would that not be like cheating myself out of learning those effects and skills, and also maneuverability around after effects, and instead just picking an effect to use. Almost like the ones that come pre built into AE already.

Maybe I'm making a big deal about using it or not. Could I be cheating myself out of not using the tools, and making my design process easier?

One effect in particular is the circle/radial burst. I finally found a tutorial on how to do it. Took me about four hours of watching and replicating in AE and then redoing the project myself a couple times before I finally feel like I can open AE and create that effect without notes or watching a video for help.

That effect comes in the plug in package. And from the looks of it, you just click it and it automatically sets the values and then you can go in and play around and tweak it to your liking.

I notice that motion is a field where everyone shares and helps and that's good. So one side of the track I feel like it's there to help me and others make our learning and projects run smoother. But also, I feel like, say I start getting clients that's want motion work in 6 months, and I didn't really learn how to do that radial effect, I'm just relying on the plug in.

Are other designers doing this? Whatever helps you get the project done and finished is open game? Or would it be like tracing images in relation to illustration?

I'm sure the guy who created and is selling the plug in learned all that on his own and then figured why not expand and create a built in plug in for others to simply reuse the effects over and over instead of having to keep recreating the same over and over.

Sorry for this long post. And sorry if your not understanding me. Guess I just feel torn between using a plug in, and not usIng the plug in, if I don't yet fully comprehend the software or how to actually make the effects without the help of a crutch/plug in.

Also I would post a link to the mograph site but not sure if that's allowed.

Thanks to everyone who posted in regards to this.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:25:53 pm

I suggest you do both. Use scripts and plugins where they make your life better, but also learn as much as you can about what they're really doing.

If you rely on canned presets with no understanding of how they work, you will be limited to those presets. Deeper knowledge will help you tune an animation beyond those limits to better fit any given project.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Fredrik ÅkerlundRe: Is motion v2 cheating for a noob
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 11:44:24 pm

Motion 2 is a tool and a new tool won´t hold you back. What will hold you back is your attitude to learning and exploring. If you start using new tools you will experience things you might have never thought of before, you get a chance to walk off the beaten path and things that were tedious suddenly becomes something you can use in you everyday workflow. The problem is when you limit yourself to the tool. When you want to do something that goes beyond the tools capabilities and you resign to the problem and take the easy way. That´s called being lazy and you´ll never be more than ok at what you do.

For me it´s the same thing as learning from tutorials. Some people do what the tutorial tells them, step by step, and then are satisfied. Others, like myself, watch a tutorial and start to think about what I can do with what I just learned. And then we try it. We try to expand on what we´ve learned out of curiosity. And that keeps us improving.

So buy the script and use it but make sure you try to figure out what´s going on under the hood. A tool will never hold you back but lack of curiosity will.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]