ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple Alpha Mattes to Create Checkerboard-type Pattern

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex DickmannMultiple Alpha Mattes to Create Checkerboard-type Pattern
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 9:46:39 am

I am trying to recreate an image of sacred geometry from a tattoo (image attached) in After Effects, and the part that is stumping me is filling every other space with a gradient. I've included what I have so far - a bunch of shape layers with a white stroke and no fill. These triangles also rotate before resting at it's current state, so I can't just create some gradient shape layers in the designated spaces. I'm relatively new to track mattes, so I'm sure it's an easy solution.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki KannistoRe: Multiple Alpha Mattes to Create Checkerboard-type Pattern
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 10:56:35 am

The easy solution is to create the needed shapes in Illustrator with the pathfinder tools, which allow you to create individual shapes from each of the triangles with the click of a button. Doing the same in After Effects, you'd need to draw a new mask for each shape you want to fill with gradients. Either way, you'll end up with a bunch of layers with individual triangles with a gradient ramp effect.

The other option is to draw the whole thing, including the gradients, with Illustrator and bring it in as a single complete image, or as a comp with layers. I'd take this latter route myself.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Alex DickmannRe: Multiple Alpha Mattes to Create Checkerboard-type Pattern
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:31:21 am

The only problem with that is that I have each triangle rotating at a different rate so the size and shape of the triangle changes - I apologize, I probably did not explain that very well. I'm trying to avoid having to keyframe the shape layers path frame by frame

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Multiple Alpha Mattes to Create Checkerboard-type Pattern
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 6:24:12 pm

you might try the Paint Bucket effect... it will allow you to position a 'fill point' in any of the triangle shapes and 'fill' it with a color. once that triangle is filled, you could add a gradient to the triangle with the ramp effect or gradient layer style...

try this:

duplicate the triangle design, add the pain bucket effect, position the fill point in a triangle and set the effects blending mode property to 'fill only'. you should now have a single red triangle filled.

to add the gradient, try layer>layer styles>gradient fill and adjust as needed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]