ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

About Continuous Rasterize

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brenden YounanAbout Continuous Rasterize
by on Sep 17, 2016 at 7:29:00 am
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on Sep 17, 2016 at 7:31:27 am

Hi,

When I pre-comp my graphics and change the position it will go blurry unless I enable continuous rasterize, which will make it clear again. However it seems to mess up my composition. For example, If a solid has track matte enabled, and continuous rasterize is in use, the track matte will no longer work correctly and expose the solid in the pre-comp. Any idea why? How can I avoid continuous rasterize from messing up my comp?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: About Continuous Rasterize
by on Sep 17, 2016 at 3:39:50 pm

That sun switch does two different things, depending on what kind of layer it's on, and both affect how things are transformed (position/scale/rotation) and rendered.

For vector layers, it's Continuously Rasterize. With Continuously Rasterize turned off, the curves are only drawn and rasterized once at 100%, then the raster is transformed, just like any other raster layer. With Continously Rasterize on, Ae will first figure out the bounding box for the layer according to its transformations, then it will redraw the curves from the vector art in that specific raster.

For composition layers, it's Collapse Transformations. With Collapse Transformations off, a composition layer is just like any other. It's like a piece of footage; the entire precomp is rendered, then that flattened render is transformed. With Collapse Transformations on, the Ae renderer treats the contents of the precomp as if they were layers in the main comp. It concatenates the math for layer transformations, which requires changing the normal render order, and which impacts how things like masks, effects and mattes are applied.

To keep precomped graphics layers from becoming blurry without relying on Collapse Transformations (with all its pros and cons), you should resize your precomps to the maximum size you'll actually need in the main comp, so you don't have to scale them up there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brenden YounanRe: About Continuous Rasterize
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 4:52:38 am

Thank you for the informative reply Walter.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: About Continuous Rasterize
by on Sep 17, 2016 at 4:27:57 pm

it addition to Walter's clever explanation, if you are experiencing matte problems with collapsed comps, you should also check your Ae version. this could be because prior to 12.2, mattes in collapsed comps produced unpredictable behaviour. more information here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1370111

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Sep 18, 2016 at 4:54:36 am

Thank for the link, I will have a look.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 18, 2016 at 4:58:27 am

Im using version 13.7 of AE.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: About Continuous Rasterize
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 9:45:12 am

looks like collapse is not doing you any good. you are probably going to have to organize things differently. perhaps you could specify what exactly is happening in you shot with screenshots or a project file

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]