ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Layer Glow ignore transparency?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneLayer Glow ignore transparency?
by on Sep 17, 2016 at 1:08:03 am

I have a whiteish Outer Glow applied to my layer (a precomp) and it looks good. But then at some points elements within my precomp are like 50% transparent, and the white glow is behind the transparency as well as radiating out from it. I suppose in some cases that would be fine, but it's not what I want in this case.

Is there a way to tell Outer Glow to just be Outer?

I suppose I could set up an elaborate rig of having my precomp layer,
duplicate it twice,
apply the outer glow to the bottom copy, precomp that,
and then use a track matte from the layer above (with some alpha levels) to cut out the contents and leave only the glow...
But it sure seems like a long way about things.
Especially because the transparent elements in my precomp are faded time echo layers, which are slow to calculate, and i'm not quite sure how AE goes about it, but I kinda think this rig will triple that render time.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Layer Glow ignore transparency?
by on Oct 8, 2016 at 6:35:16 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 8, 2016 at 6:53:31 am

[Ocean Byrne] "Is there a way to tell Outer Glow to just be Outer?

Nope. it makes sense because your layer is not fully opaque. almost any effect or style you put on it will be seen under the transparency.

I would duplicate a unique copy of that precomp, set the layers inside to be fully opaque, then use a layer style with blending fill to 0% so I will have just the layer style. one layer for the layer style precomp, another for the precomp. parent the layer style precomp to the precomp.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved