ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tips for properly using a combo of split screeen and rotoscoping.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Zamora
Tips for properly using a combo of split screeen and rotoscoping.
on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:08:44 pm

I'm in the pre-pro stage of a video concept where a subject throws linen, plates, silverware, etc onto a table, and as it lands the table appears to be getting set up on its own. The linen will appear to have been laid out perfectly, plates will be all lined up with silvereware, etc. I'm going for a Zach King approach from some of his vine videos.

The table will be on the foreground, frame right while the subject is in the BG, frame left throwing the items. It will all play out on one take. I plan on doing one run where the subject is throwing the items on the table, and then another run where we will add each item, formally set. In post I'm going to be using a combination of split screen and rotoscoping. I'm also planning on shooting on sticks and adding camera movement in post to hide my cuts.

I've done rotoscoping on AE's Mocha before, but never anything like this. I'm actually a little worried with how the motion blur of the thrown items will effect my rotoscoping. I'm going to do a test shoot in the next week, and was curious if anyone had some tips or could point me in a good direction where I can read up on helpful info.

Thank you!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Tips for properly using a combo of split screeen and rotoscoping.
on Sep 15, 2016 at 9:45:48 am

Shoot high frame rate to eliminate motion blur as much as possible. Of course that means more frames to roto.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 15, 2016 at 7:03:49 pm

Or, rather, shoot with higher shutter speed (= smaller shutter angle) with the current frame rate. That way you'll have the same number of frames but less motion blur. motion blur can be added back in afterwards with the pixel motion blur effect.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:18:08 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I didn't even think about FPS/Shutter Speed. I'm going to give this a shot over the weekend.

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
EDITED SUBJECT: Resizing Images to throw on paper
on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:58:43 pm

So, I conducted the test shoot, and learned a lot about this process. I shot the test at 29.97, 1/125 on a Canon 600D. The higher FPS and Shutter Speed definitely helped with masking. Thank you gents for the tips.

Alas, the client decided to change gears and we are now doing a different concept with a similar technique (sigh). I will be throwing items (plate, cup, etc) onto a blank card, one by one. As they hit the card, the item will seem to have been "placed" into the card as a drawing. I've already been playing with the test footage, but was wondering if anyone had tips on having the object scale down as it "lands" into the card. I'm thinking a combination of masking and a scaling expression will work here?

Also, anyone know where I could find out how to make it seem there is resistance as I'm pushing a plate into the card? We'd see the plate being turned into a drawing before our eyes, in a sense. Hope that makes sense. My google searches haven't yielded much, I'm wondering if I'm asking the wrong question?

Thank you!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]