ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stop opacity keyframes reducing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry BaldsingStop opacity keyframes reducing
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:03:21 am

Hello I'm trying to do fade in 15 layers of text one after the other.
Each layers has only one word of text per layer.
I've been trying to do it by "staggering" 0% to 100% keyframes on each layer.
i.e As the first layer reaches it's one 100% opacity keyframe i've set a keyframe on the layer below to start at 0% opacity.
I've then repeated this process working my way down the layers of text.

Please see the attached screenshot

I'm sure I've done this many times before successfully, but this time after each layer reaches it's 100% opacity keyframe it automatically starts to gradually reduce back to 0% opacity for the duration of the sequence (which is only 20 seconds).

This causes the text to start to fade out after it's reached 100% opacity.
I don't wan't it to do this, I would like it to remain at 100%

I don't understand why it's doing this as I've not set another keyframe after the 100% opacity keyframe on any of these layers, but it's happening on all the layers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Stop opacity keyframes reducing
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:55:27 am

I'll bet you have an errant keyframe for 0% opacity beyond the end of the comp -- perhaps an accidental copy and paste. Make the comp longer (in comp settings) to see if there is an extra keyframe out there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Stop opacity keyframes reducing
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:37:01 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:55:34 pm

as Walter suggested, you have keyframes down the road for each layer that are set to reduce opacity. we don't need to guess because the information is right there. look here, this is from your screenshots of the keyframes:

see how the second keyframe is full? not like the first keyframe which is half full. this is an indication that this is not the last keyframe.

one more indication is this:

as you are placing your CTI after the last visible keyframe you can see that you can go to the next keyframe by clicking on the right arrow. if there wasn't any keyframe after your current placement of the CTI you would see this:

what to do now? as we see here you are all the way down your timeline duration

so you can either set the duration of your composition to be longer, then delete these offending keyframe or keyframes down the road, or you can click on the arrow here for each layer:

then click on the diamond to clear that keyframe that you don't really see :)

* this message was brought to you with support of the new feature (to my knowledge) of copy/paste images from the clipboard right in the text field! Thank you Cow Council!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stop opacity keyframes reducing
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:32:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:35:40 pm

Yup -- you definitely have keyframes beyond what you see to the right in your screen shot.

You can tell by looking at the arrows that are on both sides of the keyframe indicator. If there was NO keyframe to the right of the timeline cursor, the right arrow wouldn't be highlighted.

The fix: click on that right arrow. I bet it takes you to all the unintentional keyframes. Select them all with a lasso and delete them. Life gets better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry BaldsingRe: Stop opacity keyframes reducing
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:01:11 am

Excellent! Got it to work thanks to all of your help!
Kind regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved