ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3-D objects won't interact.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Coulter Mitchell
Element 3-D objects won't interact.
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:24:50 pm

I have a little plant I made in Zbrush and imported asOBJ. files through element 3-D.
I used the partial replicator to make a bunch of them and now I am trying to get them to come out of a surface.
If I use a surface from Element 3D or a new solid from after effects I can't seem to get the elements to interact with each other.
I will attach a picture to show what I mean.
Any help would be great!
Thank you!

screenshot2016-09-09at6.02.34pm.png

Return to posts index

Coulter Mitchell
Re: Element 3-D objects won't interact.
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:46:28 pm

Also, lights don't effect my objects that I imported as OBJ into Element 3D, Does that have something to do with the fact I made a UV map for the object in Zbrush?

Return to posts index

Coulter Mitchell
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:53:25 pm

Return to posts index

Coulter Mitchell
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:23:45 pm

Ok I am slowly figuring this out. As you can see from my top view the partial replicator spread the the particles out in 3d space but the flat block I want them to grow out of is on an element 3d layer with the box unchecked to make it a 3d layer because its already 3d.
I don't see what I am missing though. How do I make the particles look like they are growing out of the flat surface.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 10, 2016 at 6:53:33 am

To get Element 3D objects to interact, you have to have them in the same Element instance, in a different group, not on two separate layers.

There is also the option of using two Element instances on the same layer with Unified Render, but that is more for those cases where you need more than 5 groups.

In either case, they need to be on the same layer to interact.

Not getting the expected lighting is usually due to having the E3D physical environment controlling most of the lighting, by default the "Lighting influence" setting is at 25%, which means that 75% of the lighting comes from the Element environment map. If you want AE lights to effect the scene more, turn up that value in Element Effect settings (Render Settings>Physical Environment>Lighting Influence). At 100% only the AE lights affect the lighting. See here:

http://www.videocopilot.net/docs/element2/render_settings/physical_environm...

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Coulter Mitchell
on Sep 10, 2016 at 4:47:30 pm

Thank you that fixed it! You're a mad genius Kalle!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]