ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Inner Shadow EFFECT ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Mellor
Inner Shadow EFFECT ?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:40:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for an effect that creates an Inner Shadow.

I know it's possible through Layer Styles... but I need to put Roughen Edges over it, and the only way to add an effect on top of a layer style is to precompose, which I don't want to do for all my assets.

There's a Drop Shadow effect, is there an Inner Shadow alternate? Any third party equivalents?

Thanks!

-Chris

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Inner Shadow EFFECT ?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:07:50 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:19:33 pm

can't think of any. and I am experimenting to see if you can do this with one layer but have a few questions and maybe suggestions for you:

1. is this for creating some of Vignette? because you have CC Vignette

2. is the inner shadow effect suppose to animate? and is this a video or still element? if it's not suppose to animate and it is a still and not video, you could save your trouble and create that inner shadow in Ps or Ai for it to be already embedded in your element.

3.is creating the effect in 2 layers above the original a problem? you can create this effect by duplicating the layer twice set the duplicate to use an inverted alpha matte of itself and add blur to the alpha matte and black fill to the duplicate.

maybe it would help to see a screenshot of what exactly are you dealing with there

Return to posts index

Chris Mellor
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:22:04 pm

Here's the crazy workaround I currently have to keep it all within the Effects of one layer:

Drop Shadow (set to Shadow Only) + Invert (Alpha) + CC Composite (Stencil Alpha)

Then I add my Roughen edges and stylized effects

I guess I could create a Preset... but it currently seems like a lot of processing for what could be a single effect

-Chris

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:35:44 pm

Nice. tested it now and I see it's working as an inner shadow on Alpha but without the layer itself... so you still need this as a duplicate of your layer. you can always ask it, maybe they will listen http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:49:10 pm

Isn't Inner Shadow one of the AE layer styles? Or is that just limited to Photoshop?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:51:54 pm

it is, but OP does not want to use the layer style because of render order.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:54:48 pm

Cripes, just precomp the layer with the inner shadow. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:10:04 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:12:18 pm

Geez Dave! :) have you read Op's post? he writes he does not want to do that right in the post! it's all there. take a nap we need you clear minded over here (and that other forum too)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:25:25 pm

What's the big difference between working with a precomp and working with the actual layer... other than the fact that you can do what needs to be done easily?

Is it wasting the precious five seconds it takes to make one? I'm stumped by the reluctance to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:37:43 pm

Let's let Op answer this one. take it away Chris?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 10, 2016 at 10:48:56 am

[Dave LaRonde] "What's the big difference between working with a precomp and working with the actual layer... other than the fact that you can do what needs to be done easily? Is it wasting the precious five seconds it takes to make one? I'm stumped by the reluctance to do it."

The resistance to precomping is never about the time it takes to create the precomp. Precomping is easy. Working with a comp that has keyframes and properties spread out through a dozen different precomps is hard.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:10:38 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:12:57 am

[Walter Soyka] "The resistance to precomping is never about the time it takes to create the precomp. "

I can't speak for Op but in this particular case, he only needs to create an effect on a single layer at a time. if it is only one layer at a time, then he can use the "Leave all attributes" and this won't change anything in time or space or keyframes for the layer so the precomp mess is avoided. I believe in this case we are actually talking about the time it takes, which is good enough reason if you have many layers or something. also it's more elegant to just work on a layer not having to rewire stuff to make a rather simple effect work for you.

still waiting for Op to pitch in :)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:20:58 am

[Roei Tzoref] "if it is only one layer at a time, then he can use the "Leave all attributes" and this won't change anything in time or space or keyframes for the layer so the precomp mess is avoided."

I don't presume to speak for Chris here, but I'll point out that any adjustments to the layer style cannot be performed directly in the context of the main comp, and will have to be performed instead inside the individual precomps.

Here, I'm talking about an organizational/navigational mess, not a time/space mess.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:35:38 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:36:46 am

I see. yes this will require that you set 2 windows to see how this effect looks in the context of the main comp. thank you for clearing that out. see Dave? pre-composing is causing some mess anyway you look at it :)

Return to posts index

Chris Mellor
on Sep 10, 2016 at 1:48:45 pm

You're correct that my reluctance to precomping is about organization/navigation. I'm going to have dozens of assets in my project and animating each in their own comps sounds like a nightmare.

I'll work with two windows or maybe link all the effects to a master layer using "Copy with Property Links"

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I may send in a feature request. Still seems weird that they have an effect for Drop Shadow and none of the other Layer Styles.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:07:20 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:08:43 pm

it's hard to tell without seeing your exact setup, but if you apply this type of effect you probably need it to affect just one layer at a time and not a composite, so no need to pre-compose more than one layer or am I wrong?. if this is the case could just precomp the layer that needs the inner shadow with "Leave all attributes". keyframes will stay in the master comp, and navigation is only an issue when setting the style of the inner shadow in the context of the other layers. since this is a pretty simple effect this should not take too much time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]