ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Nike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus BarrieNike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping
by on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:42:23 pm

Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I was wondering if anyone here knows the best way to replicate the shots of the projection mapping on the buildings in the Nike commercial below. It seems to me that it might be an actual projector shooting on the building, but does anyone know of any techniques to pull off a similar effect in post?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Nike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping
by on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:17:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:54:58 pm

I did this for a spot about 12 years ago. I put station news anchors & newscast footage on the sides of buildings as news vehicles drove through the foreground. I worked with locked-down shots, however, which eliminated motion tracking.

To replicate this, you'll need motion tracking, masking, the Corner Pin Effect, perhaps some rotoscoping and one of the AE blend modes.... Overlay, maybe? Well, just play with 'em & you'll get it.

Oh, yeah.... On my spot, I put projection-look video on a small-town water tower, too. I used CC Cylinder (or was it Boris cylinder?) To get the curves right, and aabout an hour and a half of tweaking until everything matched up right. But it was worth it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki KannistoRe: Nike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 7:06:39 am

For additional realism, you can try using the original footage or a slightly blurred copy thereof, as a displacement map to make the projections look like they displace with the smaller details on the wall as well.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Nike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:14:26 am

I haven't being able to find the behind the scenes or an article on this commercial but bare in mind that is this probably a combination of practical lighting and compositing. in order for those building to light up in the dark, you have to actually have a light in there. maybe it was done in 2 passes of motion control cameras - on with light and one without so you can have the environment as lighter and darker realistically or maybe not. those practical lights playing with combination of the compositing makes this in my opinion a successful and interesting imagery.

Return to posts index

Mike SevignyRe: Nike - Unlimited Together Projection Mapping
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:38:13 pm

Hey Marcus, sweet spot.

The above suggestions are great but I'll throw in a few more links for you to explore. It looks as though most of the projections are flat (2D) and that can be achieved relatively easily. 3D Projection mapping in AE is much trickier but can render better results. Have a look at these links..

2D Projection Mapping in AE:

3D Projection Mapping in AE:

Here is an example of 3D Projection Mapping in AE:
Password: tms2016

Hope this helps,
Mike Sevigny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved